Encryptic | The open source note-taking app
🔖 🔏 📄
An encryption-focused open source note taking application.
Gitter | Wiki | ContributeEncryptic uses the Marionette JS framework, Gulp and runs on Node.js. The test runner is tape
- Markdown editor based on Pagedown
- Synchronization with cloud storage via Dropbox or RemoteStorage
- Multiple editing modes: normal, preview, and distraction free
- Offline access to your notes
- WYSIWYG control buttons
- Syntax highlighting, MathJax support
- Robust keyboard shortcuts
- Client-side document encryption
- No registration required. Encryptic manages signup/login via security tools built in to all modern browsers.
- By default, Encryptic stores notes using the database in your browser (such as indexedDB or localStorage). This means that no data is synced to the cloud without your permission.
Quick Start (recommended)
- Open app.encryptic.org and get started in less than 30 seconds.
- No extra steps are required!
Install Standalone Desktop App (beta)
NOTE: IF YOU ARE UPGRADING FROM AN OLD VERSION OF Encryptic, BACKUP EVERYTHING FIRST. THIS CODE HAS BEEN TESTED BUT MANY THINGS HAVE CHANGED. DATA LOSS IS POTENTIAL.
Install a version of Encryptic from here:
None. Removed the signal server component for the time being.
Arch Linux (or derived distributions)
- Install the package encryptic with your favorite AUR helper (e.g.
$ yay -S encryptic)
- All historical releases are available here.
Developer Install & Documentation
Setting up the Encryptic development environment only takes a few minutes. To run locally, you need to have the following installed:
- Node.js version 8.11.4 or 10.9.0. Encryptic works with other previous Node versions, but requires changes to
package.jsonand is not recommended.
- Git (note: Windows users need to set the PATH variable for git after installation).
- Yarn You can use npm but it's not recommended due to inconsistencies observed in the modules installed.
Part One: Install Encryptic
If you're planning to contribute to the project's development, hit the fork button at the top of the page and move on to step 2.
1. Clone the Encryptic repository:
With SSH :
$ git clone email@example.com:encryptic-team/encryptic.git
With HTTPS :
$ git clone https://github.com/encryptic-team/encryptic.git
2. Navigate to project directory and install gulp and yarn globally:
$ cd encryptic $ npm install -g gulp $ npm install -g yarn
4. Install dependencies and build:
- or -
$ npm run setup
5. Start Encryptic:
6. Point a web browser to http://localhost:9000
Coding Style Guidelines
In our effort to permanently enhance the application's security, Encryptic is implementing OpenPGP encryption via OpenPGP.js.