BART strike visualization
See the projects put together with this data http://enjalot.github.io/bart/
- Non-management Salaries with crossfilter and simple statistics http://tributary.io/inlet/6148096
- Management salaries http://tributary.io/inlet/6153614
- Inflation vs raises http://tributary.io/inlet/6153454
- BART map with stations as JSON http://tributary.io/inlet/6148762
- Animating on a BART line http://tributary.io/inlet/6149065
- BART monthly ridership http://tributary.io/inlet/6149542
- Income with inflation - previous and projected ( http://tributary.io/inlet/6152634 )
- Salaries grouped by job family - http://tributary.io/inlet/6892157
- PEMS traffic - http://tributary.io/inlet/6914083
- location of PEMS traffic trackers - http://tributary.io/inlet/6894869
- traffic on hwy 80 SF exit - http://tributary.io/inlet/6895540
- traffic on hwy 80 treasure island - http://tributary.io/inlet/6895166
- traffic on hwy 92 bridge in july - http://tributary.io/inlet/6895614
All of the data and sources can be found here: https://github.com/enjalot/bart/tree/master/data
What is causing the BART strike?
What is the history of BART/union negotiations?
- History of voting results on transportation ballot measures http://www.mtc.ca.gov/maps_and_data/GIS/maps/monthly/TranspoBallotResults-BAvsSTATE.pdf
What are the points of contention?
- Medical benefits
Are the demands reasonable?
- What employees make the most? What do they do?
- How does Overtime pay factor in?
- How do BART employees salaries compare to others in transit industry?
- How do BART employee salaries compare to inflation?
- Are employees making more/less than they did 10 years ago? 20?
- How do BART employee salaries compare to salaries in the bay area? How do they compare to tech employees?
- How much crime occurres on BART and at stations?
- How many BART police are there?
What are the effects of the strike?
- What is BART's total budget?
- What does it's budget look like? How much for employees?
- How many tax dollars does it cost? Cost to individual taxpayer?
- How does a strike impact highways, MUNI and ferry transport?
- How many people ride BART?
- Which stations have most ridership?
- Does BART service a population that otherwise wouldn't be serviced?
- How much value does BART add to the area?
- Good contextual overview: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/07/bay-area-transit-strike-why-it-matters
- July 30 article on strike http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_23773852/unions-may-issue-72-hour-notice-strike-if
- Article comparing transit salaries in other cities with BART http://www.mercurynews.com/bart/ci_23742276/bart-workers-paychecks-already-outpace-their-peers
BART talks likely to go to 11th hour - or beyond http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-talks-likely-to-go-to-11th-hour-or-beyond-4877188.php
BART board rejects call to give surplus to workers http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BART-board-rejects-call-to-give-surplus-to-workers-4810334.php
- BART board OKs layoff notices to cut deficit http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BART-board-OKs-layoff-notices-to-cut-deficit-3202194.php
BART directors eye raising fares, parking fees http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BART-directors-eye-raising-fares-parking-fees-3175153.php
Train operators to vote Aug. 25 on BART pact http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Train-operators-to-vote-Aug-25-on-BART-pact-3289666.php
BART considers raising fares, cutting service http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BART-considers-raising-fares-cutting-service-3165179.php
BART bargaining continues into early morning http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BART-bargaining-continues-into-early-morning-3290700.php
BART'S BUDGET PROBLEMS / Scrambling to fill a $51 million hole, the agency is looking at several ways to fill the gap -- and none is likely to be popular with commuters http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BART-S-BUDGET-PROBLEMS-Scrambling-to-fill-a-51-2637641.php
BAY AREA / Unions, management far apart in BART talks / Workers to vote today on whether to authorize strike http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BAY-AREA-Unions-management-far-apart-in-BART-2660674.php
BAY AREA / BART plan means shorter trains, fewer workers / But fares won't rise under $475 million operating budget http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BAY-AREA-BART-plan-means-shorter-trains-fewer-2755383.php
OAKLAND / BART proposes operating budget http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/OAKLAND-BART-proposes-operating-budget-2768898.php
- BART dip in ridership may force higher fares http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BART-dip-in-ridership-may-force-higher-fares-2633830.php
Looks like ticket to ride going up http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Looks-like-ticket-to-ride-going-up-3325426.php
Fare increase or parking fees look likely at BART / Shorter trains, dirtier cars may save cash http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Fare-increase-or-parking-fees-look-likely-at-BART-2839281.php
Bad times for BART / Service cutbacks, layoffs, fees for parking all eyed to offset big deficits http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Bad-times-for-BART-Service-cutbacks-layoffs-2854440.php
BART board decides against fare increase / Budget cuts close deficit of $32 million http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/BART-board-decides-against-fare-increase-Budget-2880144.php
- Salaries through roof for many in S.F.'s dot-gov world http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Salaries-through-roof-for-many-in-S-F-s-dot-gov-3314793.php
- SF Transit History http://sftransithistory.com/