Enketo Smart Paper runs next generation web forms that were built according to the open-source OpenRosa XForm format. This is the advanced and popular form format used by ODK, Ona, KoBo Toolbox, Formhub and CommCare.
This repository is a PHP app around Enketo Core that has the ability to launch forms offline and persistently store data offline in the browser. It also provides the communication with OpenRosa compliant servers such as ODK Aggregate, KoBoToolbox, Ona, and Formhub. The OpenRosa APIs are described here.
- Enketo Core - Enketo form engine used inside this repo and many other apps
- Enketo Express - A new Node.js version of the Enketo Web Application (will replace enketo-legacy)
- Enketo XPathJS - XPath Evaluator used inside enketo-core
- Enketo XSLT - used inside this repo
- Enketo Dristhi used in Dristhi
- enketo-xslt-transformer-php - sample app that transforms Xforms in HTML
Enketo integration with ODK Aggregate, formhub, Ona, KoboToolbox etc is done via Enketo's API. See the API documentation.
- IE is only supported from version 10 onwards (older versions do not support the required technologies). For performance reasons, we cannot recommend this browser though (it has no native XPath Evaluator)
- Chrome, Firefox, Safari for both desktop and mobile devices are supported. Chrome is recommended at the moment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to install this thing?
Don't. Install Enketo-express instead or use one of the many services that have Enketo built in. Enketo Legacy is a beast to install and this was one of the reasons to develop Enketo Express from scratch and abandon Enketo Legacy.
Why are file-upload inputs greyed out and not usable?
File uploads are only experimentially supported on Chrome (except on iOS) and Opera desktop. It uses the still experimental FileSytem API to ensure that Enketo forms work offline. If file uploads (images/sound/video) are important, Enketo Express or ODK Collect may be a better option.
- Code contributions for all Enketo libraries except enketo-legacy are very welcome
- Issue Tracker. Note that since development has stopped, most issue will be marked as 'wontfix'
The development of this app and enketo-core was sponsored by: