Talkfest is a PHP 5.3 discussion board based on the Symfony 2 framework that allows for category-based posts with commenting functionality similar to that of sites like reddit and hacker news.
Beta - This application is still under development and is not ready for production usage. The core functionality is complete, however, and I'd love to have more people testing it out.
- Custom categories are used to group similar types of discussions (e.g. Funny, Politics, etc.)
- Posts represent the starting point of a specific discussion (e.g. Some random thought, some link I saw, etc.)
- Comments are responses to any specific post that can be modified by their author or admins
- Main post stream that lists all posts across all categories
- Individual category streams for posts
- User management via the popular FOSUserBundle component
Features Intended for Stable Release
- Markdown-based comment formatting
- Various user interface improvements
- Command line tools
Most of the installation is done through symfony's command line tools. After cloning this repository, follow these steps:
- Copy app/config/parameters.ini.dist to app/config/parameters.ini and update with your local values
- php bin/vendors install
- php app/console doctrine:database:create
- php app/console init:acl
- php app/console doctrine:schema:update --force
- php app/console assets:install web
- Create a new super admin: php app/console fos:user:create myadminusername --super-admin
- Log into this new super admin account at /login
- Create your first category at /category/add
New users can be created via the signup page (/signup).