Pittsburgh Parking Optimization Android App (Currently In Development)
Title for app is a work in progress. Feel free to send suggestions.
How does this work?
How parking in Pittsburgh works
- In the City of Pittsburgh, we no longer have parking meters.
- Instead, we use these small kiosks that are on every block.
- When you park, you enter your licence plate and pay for some parking time at the kiosk.
- The parking attendents then can check your licence plate against the list of licence plates in the system that have paid.
- What's nice about this is that you can pay and move your car with out having to worry about getting a ticket at your new spot or overpaying at your old spot. Important: you can only park within about a mile of the kiosk where you paid
- Now with Go Mobile PGH, you can pay on your phone with just the kiosk number.
- Unfortunately, kiosks near more desireable locations cost more.
- Theoretically, you could pay in a cheap section and park in a more expensive section as long as it is less than a mile away.
park-opt saves you money
park-optallows you to pay at the lowest costing kiosk, by giving you the kiosk number for the lowest costing kiosk that is within range.
park-optuses your phone's location to find the kiosk with the lowest rate less than a mile away.
park-optlets you input what time you are going to leave.
park-optpays as you park, so you can leave at anytime and not wory about having paid for the next few hours.
park-optchanges which kiosk you pay at based on which is cheapest and available at the time.
park-opt lets you park for longer
park-optchanges which kiosk you pay at so that you never exceed the time limits for each kiosk.
How to Use
park-opt is quite simple
Simply open the app and hit
Park Now, then enter the meter number displayed into the
Go Mobile PGH app
- Pittsburgh has the parking system that allows for the creation of an app like this.
- No other city (to my knowledge) has a system like this.
- (Also I live in the Greater Pittsburgh Area, which makes it easier to test