Building a foundation for performance
In her “Building a foundation for performance” presentation at performance.now() 2018, Michelle Vu tells a story of how the web performance team at Pinterest started off and made performance a priority for the company.
- Pinterest created a dedicated performance team in 2017.
- Ownership over performance involves looking after metrics quality, tooling (analytics, monitoring), regression investigations, analysis, support.
- Tie performance metrics to business metrics. Explain what 200ms page load regression means for the business.
- Start with building trust by validating performance metrics, implementing confidence tests, creating graphs reflecting real user experience and catching regressions.
- In case of an incident, identify an owner, set a severity level, follow the runbook and do a post mortem.
- Set a company-wide goal to improve key performance metrics.
- Write documentation on key metrics, past optimizations, ideas for future improvements, regression investigation runbook.
- Consult other teams and conduct trainings.