To practice cleaning data in R, I decided to build a Simpsons quote generator. First, I collected quotes from episode transcripts on the internet then I cleaned and sorted them into a dataframe. My goal is to create a simple web interface to generate random quotes or search for specific quotes.
- write script to scrape html for the first few seasons from simpsonsarchive.com
- write script to clean and separate quotes, speakers, episode title from the raw html into a list of lists
- convert the quote lists to a dataframe, then convert and save as a JSON file
- write simple web page to query JSON file and return random quote
- refactor code to parse json entry for one-name speaker
- build user input forms such as number of quotes, season, and episode
- manipulate json query to filter for user requests
You can now visit this project on git hub pages.