Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 31 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Definitions and abbreviations
- acoustic fingerprint - acoustic fingerprint is an identifier generated from an audio signal, that can be used to fuzzily identify a song.
- catalog - a catalog of a user's digital music Collection, excluding the actual files.
- IP3K - Firmware in Squeezebox Classic, Boom, Transporter and older devices.
- library - a user's digital music Collection including a Catalog and the actual files (compare to a regular library of books).
- (online) metadata source - an online repository of metadata such as "artist", "year" or "genre". Examples: freedb, MusicBrainz or Discogs.
- (music) collection - digital music files residing on local disc (local Collection) or an online music source (online Collection) that the user has full, high quality access to.
- music entity - a song, album, work, recording, artist, composer, conductor, performer or other time of definition that describes an object related to music metadata. See the "Domain defintions" section below.
- online (music) source - a site that lets the user play specific music (contrast: web radio). Can be free or subscription-based with previews and/or high quality tracks. Examples: Last.FM or Spotify.
- preview - to listen to music in lower quality (lower bitrate, short snippet, interrupted by commercials, ...)
- SBS - SqueezeBox Server (with Control Panel and Web UI for user and admin)
- SMD - Social Music Discovery, the abbreviation of the whole project
- smdID - See Identifiers for more information
- SqueezePlay - the desktop version of the Jive / Squeezebox Controller software (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay)
See also the architecture description for a description of the different modules in the project.
Album (also known as Release)
- A number of tracks recorded and released as a set, traditionally on one or a few CDs or LPs.
- A common name for a single person (Solo Career) or a group of people (Collaborative Career) that performs on one or several _Recording_s.
Band (specific type of_Contributor_, also known as_Collaborative Career)
- See description for Collaborative Career
Box (specific type of Release)
- A selection of coherent _Release_s, typically 5-10 original_Release_s by a specific Artist packaged in one box, often accompanied by biographical material (examples: Black Sabbath "The Ozzy Osbourne Years", "Mozart Edition: Complete Works" on 170 discs). A Box can also hold Compilations by different Artists (example: "Classical Masterpieces of the Millennium"). A Box is represented as a Release which consists of two or more other Releases.
Collaborative Career (also known as Band)
- A group of people that is known under a group name that contributes together as a group on one or several Recording_s. A group represented as a_Collaborative Career_may consists of both singers and other kind of musicians and is commonly known as_Band_or_Orchestra.
Compilation (specific type of_Album_)
- An_Album_where the_Tracks_are independently recorded_Recordings_by the same or different artists. Typical examples are "Greatest Hits" and "Essential Classics".
Composer (specific type of_Contributor_)
- A_Contributor_who has composed the music on a_Song_or_Work_* Conductor (specific type of_Contributor_)
- A_Contributor_who leads an_Orchestra_using visible gestures when doing a_Recording_* File (specific type of_Playable Element_)
- Reference to one or several music files with a specific smdID
- A company that is responsible for the production and distribution of a_Recording_,Single_or_Album.
Orchestra (also known as_Collaborative Career_)
- A group of_Contributors_that contributes to a_Recording_as a group, a_Orchestra_typically only consists of musicians and controlled by a_Conductor_.
Part (sometimes called_Movement_)
- Specific section of a Work. A_Recording_can be defined for a whole_Work_(the_Recording_of an opera), but sometimes, a_Recording_can be defined for each_Part_.
- A person or band that in some way contributes to a_Work_/Song_or_Recording. This could be a composer, conductor, artist, band, musician, orchestra, ensemble or some other kind of performer.
Performance (sometimes called_Recording_)
- See description for_Recording_* Person
- A physical person that acts as_Composer_on a work or_Performer_/Conductor_on a_Recording. A_Person_is only represented once and is represented under it's real name. Many persons are known under an alias/artist name when they are performing on a_Recording_, the alias/artist name is handled as a_Solo Career_.
- Representation of a physical file or online stream that represent a specific_Recording_that can be played.
Recording (sometimes called_Performance_)
- Specific recording of a_Work_, could be either a studio recording or a live concert recording. If the_Work_is a symphony by Beethoven the_Recording_would be a recorded performance of that symphony with a specific conductor. A_Remix_of a recording, for example "radio edit" or "clean version", is a separate_Recording_. The_Recording_can always be represented as a single music files, if there multiple_Recording_s are required to represent a complete Work, it's recommended to use a Recording Session to represent the Work and a Recording for each Part of the work.
- A collection of one or several _Recording_s which was recorded at the same time and place.
- A release of a specific_Box_,Album,Single_or_Recording. The UK and US releases of a specific_Album_is represented as two individual_Release_s with a relation to the release that represents the master Release. They might for example have different album covers and/or content (eg. different track order, bonus tracks etc).
Remix (specific type of Recording)
- A new version of an existing Recording, a Recording that is based on an original Recording.
- A collection of related Albums in succession. Their relationship is not fixed, but generally share a common concept or theme, most often by the same Contributor. The perception of a series is somewhat subjective, sometimes the work is conceived as a multiple-album work (contrast: Box or multi-disc Album). Examples: Karl Jenkins "Adiemus", House of Blues "Essential Blues".
Single (similar to Album)
- Essentially a single track recorded and released on its own. Traditionally with another song or alternative mix on the flip-side ("B-side"), today often accompanied by alternative mixes of the same track.
Solo Career (specific type of Artist)
- A person that significantly contributes to one or several _Recording_s or_Work_s, typically as a composer, singer or one of the lead musicians. The difference between a Solo Career and a Person is that a Person might have multiple careers where he/she is known under different aliases.
Song (also called Work)
- A piece of music that may have been recorded several times in different ways by several artists. Original composer(s) is not always known (a song may be "traditional").
Stream (specific type of Playable Element)
- Reference to a URL pointing to a song in a online music source
- A Recording in one specific Release (the same Recording may appear in several Releases)
- Reference to one or several Playable Element of the type File
- Reference to one or several Playable Element of the type Stream
Work (also called Song)
- A piece of music that may have been recorded several times in different ways by several artists or conductors, often used in classical music instead of Song
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.