Spending hours in the rails console? Spruce it up and show off those hard-working hands!
jazz_hands combines multiple console-related gems and a bit of glue:
- Pry for a powerful shell alternative to IRB.
- Awesome Print for stylish pretty print.
- Hirb for tabular collection output.
- Pry Doc to browse Ruby source, including C, directly from the console.
- Pry Git to teach the console about git. Diffs, blames, and commits on methods and classes, not just files.
- Pry Nav to turn the console into a simple debugger.
- Pry Remote to connect remotely to a Pry console.
- Coolline and Coderay for syntax highlighting as you type. Ruby 1.9.3 only
Rails 3 and above only. Add to your project Gemfile:
group :development, :test do gem 'jazz_hands' end
That's it. Run
rails console as usual.
Hirb isn't enabled by default. To use, run
Hirb.enable in the console.