This directory contains a growing number of simple example projects for esp-idf. These are intended to show basic esp-idf functionality, and to provide you can use for your own projects.
Building examples is the same as building any other project:
Follow the setup instructions in the top-level esp-idf README.
IDF_PATHenvironment variable to point to the path to the esp-idf top-level directory.
- Change into the directory of the example you'd like to build.
make menuconfigto configure the example. Most examples require a simple WiFi SSID & password via this configuration.
maketo build the example.
- Follow the printed instructions to flash, or run
Each example is a standalone project. The examples do not have to be inside the esp-idf directory. You can copy an example directory to anywhere on your computer in order to make a copy that you can modify and work with.
IDF_PATH environment variable is the only thing that connects the example to the rest of the
If you're looking for a more bare-bones project to start from, try esp-idf-template.
If you have a new example you think we'd like, please consider sending it to us as a Pull Request.
Please read the esp-idf CONTRIBUTING.rst file which lays out general contribution rules.
In addition, here are some tips for creating good examples:
- A good example is documented and the basic options can be configured.
- A good example does not contain a lot of code. If there is a lot of generic code in the example, consider refactoring that code into a standalone component and then use the component's API in your example.
- Examples must be licensed under the Apache License 2.0 or (preferably for examples) if possible you can declare the example to be Public Domain / Creative Commons Zero.