Basic Viewer is a configurable application template used to display a web map with a specified set of commonly used tools and options.
November 2015 Release Updates
- Splash Screen: Add a configurable splash screen and specify custom title and contents.
- LayerList: The layer list widget has been updated to add support for displaying legend info and setting layer opacity.
July 2015 Release Updates
- Optional Subtitle: Added support for specifying a subtitle. To specify subtitle text update config/defaults.js and specify the subtitle text using the subtitle property.
- Custom URL Parameters: The template now supports the ability to define a custom url parameter along with the search layer and field. This can be used to build applications that display a particular feature at application startup. For example if your app displays parcel features you could define a custom url parameter called parcel and then users can navigate there directly by appending ?parcel=1245243242343 and the map will zoom to that feature on startup. Define these values using by setting the customUrlParam and customUrlLayer properties in config/defaults.js.
- Support for toggling sub layers: The layers feature now allows you to toggle the visibility of sub layers.
- Define custom print layout title: The print feature now provides an option for users to define a custom title for the print layout.
- Reduce white space on panels: Reduced white space on panels. Now the panels (Legend, layer, desc etc) size to fit the content.
The template can be configured using the following options:
- Map: Choose the web map used in your application.
- Color Scheme: Choose a color scheme for the application.
- Show Title: Choose whether to include an application title.
- Title Text: The application title. The default title is the web map name.
- Logo: Choose a custom logo for your application.
- Overview Map: Display a retractable overview map to add context for panning and zooming.
- Legend: Display a legend for map layers. *
- Details: Display the web map item description. *
- Editor: Allows users to interactively create, modify, or delete features in editable layers. *
- Print: Enables printing the map at the current extent. It can be configured to include a legend and supports different layout options.
- Layer List: Enables toggling the visibility of operational layers within the web map. *
- Basemaps: Enables the display of the basemap gallery.
- Bookmarks: Enables the use of web map bookmarks for navigation. *
- Measure: Enables measure tool for interactive area, length, and point measurement.
- Share: Allows users to share the application with others via email, Twitter, or Facebook.
- Search: Displays the Search box to enable navigation to addresses and places.
*These options will appear in the application when the web map has properties or layers that support them.
- Download and unzip the .zip file or clone the repository.
- Web-enable the directory.
- Access the .html page.
- Start writing your template!
- To deploy this application, download the template from Portal/ArcGIS Online and unzip it.
- Copy the unzipped folder containing the web app template files, such as index.html, to your web server. You can rename the folder to change the URL through which users will access the application. By default the URL to the app will be
http://<Your Web Server>/<app folder name>/index.html
- Change the sharing host, found in defaults.js inside the config folder for the application, to the sharing URL for ArcGIS Online or Portal. For ArcGIS Online users, keep the default value of www.arcgis.com or specify the name of your organization.
- ArcGIS Online Example:
"sharinghost": location.protocol + "://" + “<your organization name>.maps.arcgis.com
- Portal Example where
arcgisis the name of the Web Adaptor:
"sharinghost": location.protocol + "://" + "webadaptor.domain.com/arcgis"
"//js.arcgis.com/3.13"and replace this portion of the reference with the url to your local install.
- For example:
arcgisis the name of your Web Adaptor.
- Copy a map or group ID from Portal/ArcGIS Online and replace the default web map ID in the application’s default.js file. You can now run the application on your web server or customize the application further.
For additional customization options view the wiki.
- Notepad or HTML editor
Found a bug or want to request a new feature? Please let us know by submitting an issue.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to contribute.
Copyright 2012 Esri
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
A copy of the license is available in the repository's license.txt file.