Enter the Grid
This is the hosting application for Grid UI and can be considered a Mist alternative in the long run. This project ensures that the user can update, configure and run the Grid UI web app and client binaries such as geth. Moreover this project can be bundled with Grid UI and create distributable installers that can be found under 'releases'.
First we need to install less and Grid UI:
npm install -g less git clone https://github.com/ethereum/grid-ui.git cd grid-ui yarn && yarn run watch-css
In another terminal, go to the grid-ui folder, type:
yarn run start
Then in a third terminal, outside the grid-ui folder and install and run grid:
git clone https://github.com/ethereum/grid.git cd grid yarn && yarn start:dev
The developer mode will try to load grid UI from a locally running web server on port
3080. To run in dev mode you will have to follow the setup instructions on the Grid UI repo.
Enable debug logging to console with
DEBUG=geth-js yarn start:dev.
More namespaces will be added over time and listed here. We would appreciate contributions in adding more throughout our modules.
In the the production mode a bundled app can be loaded from either
fs or a remote location such as Grid UI's GitHub releases.
Steps to release with CI
- Bump version number
- Push / merge to master
- TODO set trigger for Electron releases (with auto-updater), grid-ui releases (without auto-updater)
Steps to test release (locally)
- npm run prepare-release
- will download latest app release and package it with shell
- npm run build
- double check that release/unpacked/Grid.exe is working
Steps to release (locally)
- get github access token and insert into .env as GH_TOKEN
- TODO changelog, and release draft
- TODO installer signing
- npm run release -> auto publishes
- go to github, check everything, edit description and change from draft to release
Landing page development guide
See instructions at /docs.
There are many ways to get involved with this project. Get started here.