A play POC tool for initial quick analysis of memory images for fun and learning! A great way to learn:
- Python :)
- Volatility (either scripting or at some point you will need to write a plugin !)
- Memory forensics
You can find various memory images to play here
The below report is from the stuxnet image from the Malware cookbook DVD
This is how the end report looks like after running irheper with default settings.
- volatility (Mandatory)
- exiftool (Optional but highly recommended!)
- Clamav (Not yet implemented)
Note: Mac users might get an error related to LOCALE. Run the below on your shell.
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
cd /tmp git clone https://github.com/etz69/irhelper.git cd irhelper virtualenv venv source venv/bin/activate pip install -r requirements.txt python irhelper.py -h (to view usage) vi settings.py * Edit all locations with the full path of your irhelper installation * Add any API Keys required (VT, C1fApp). VT has a default public key which might not be valid at the time of the download. And Play ! python irhelper.py --hash --vt --initdb --debug templates/report.html sample001.bin Finally report is generated in local export/ directory as "report.html"
- Note1: If the matplotlib is not working disable in the settings.py file
- Note2: Disable your AV for the directory "irhelper/dump"
cmd>python irhelper.py -h usage: irhelper.py [-h] [-p [PROFILE]] [-r [RISK]] [--cache] [--debug] [--initdb] [--hash] [--vt] [--osint] [-v] reportTemplate memoryImageFile ;)( ; :----: C|====| | | `---- The IR helper python tool! positional arguments: reportTemplate Report template to use memoryImageFile The memory image file you want to analyse optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit -p [PROFILE], --profile [PROFILE] Volatility profile (Optional) -r [RISK], --risk [RISK] Risk level to show processes (default 2) --cache Enable cache --debug Run in debug --initdb Initialise local DB --hash Generate hashes --vt Check VirusTotal for suspicious hash (API KEY required) --osint Check C1fApp for OSINT of ip/domain (API KEY required) -v, --version show program's version number and exit
This is the initial alpha version of IRHelper so please bear with us if the code is not up to your standards or sth is not working very well !
- Retrieve all target image information
- Extract users and relevant timestamps from SAM registry dump
- Apply rules on running processes. Currently we check the running number of instances, naming tricks, parent process utilising more dynamic methods such as Jaro–Winkler distance
- Dump all memory processes and retrieve as much information both from mem and with exiftool
- Calculate entropy of memory dump images and ASM suspicious snippets
- Enhanced process list with PEB info (where available)
- Suspicious processes. PIDs which exist in psxview, malfind and apihooks
- Malfind output processor which identifies MZ headers or trampoline style sections
- Hollowfind plugin
- Network connections list
- Network connection graph based on matplotlib
- Command line history
- VirusTotal check of suspicious hashes
Documentation is currently updated to describe all the above features.