EV3Dev-lang-Java is project to learn Java and create software for Mindstorms Robots using hardware supported by EV3Dev & the LeJOS way.
How to test?
For non Linux computers use:
For Linux computers use:
In Lego Mindstorms ecosystem, the default solution to develop Java software for Lego Mindstorms
was LeJOS but now exists one alternative,
EV3Dev-lang-java a Java project
running on the top of EV3Dev.
Lego Mindstorms ecosystem is
a nice educational way to learn Java programming in general and Robotics in particular.
Now, it is possible to install a complete Linux distro in the third generation of the product and others companies like
Mindsensors & Dexter Industries has released products
which interact with Sensors & Actuators from Lego ecosystem and that boards can use the Power of the popular board
Raspberry Pi 3
But, with the help of
EV3Dev, it is possible to have the same Linux experience for multiple boards.
So... why not develop a Java library for that Linux Distro? The answer is
The project, takes the good things of both worlds: EV3Dev with the complete linux experience
and LeJOS with the rich local navigation stack and the remote support in the future.
What Debian versions are supported with this library?
The library has support for
Debian Jessie &
In this release, we have finished the support for
Debian Stretch for EV3 and you could
use OpenJDK 11, or OpenJDK 15 and it is amazing!
If you need to use any Raspberry Pi Boards, I recommend to use the stable
Debian Jessie release.
What is the hardware platforms supported in this project?
Using the same
Java objects, it is possible to deploy the software for Robots on EV3 Brick, Raspberry Pi 3 with BrickPi 3 & PiStorms.
|#||Element||EV3 P-Brick||Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+|
|1||Hardware||EV3 Brick||BrickPi+, BrickPi3, PiStorms|
|2||SoC||TI Sitara AM1808||Broadcom BCM2837B0|
|3||CPU||1× ARM926EJ-S @ 300MHz (max 456MHz)||4× ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1400MHz|
|4||RAM||64 MB LPDDR||1024 MB LPDDR2 (900 MHz)|
|5||USB Host||1× USB 1.1 (without onboard hub)||4× USB 2.0 (from onboard hub)|
The project has been designed with the following solution in mind:
|#||Layer||Option 1||Option 2|
|1||Platforms||BrickPi BrickPi3 PiStorms||EV3|
|2||OS||Debian Jessie||Debian Jessie/Stretch|
|3||JVM||OpenJDK 15||OpenJDK JRI 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15|
Note: At the moment, we will maintain the whole solution until the next
LEGO Mindstorms product estimated
for next January of 2022.
Features included in the whole project
- OpenJDK Java 11/12/13/14/15 support for EV3 Brick, Brickpi+/PiStorms + Raspberry Pi 3
- Java profiling tools Support (Oracle mission control & JConsole)
- Logging support based on SLF4J
- Centralized logs with Kibana
- Support for EV3 Brick, PiStorms v1/v2, BrickPi+ & BrickPi 3
Lego Mindstorms features
- Regulated Motor Support
- Unregulated Motor Support
- Sensor Support (EV3 sensors)
- Sounds Support
- EV3 LCD Support
- Automatic installation of OpenCV
- eSpeak TTS (Text to speech) Support
- LeJOS Sensor filter Support
- LeJOS local navigation stack Support
- RPLidar A1/A2 (2D Lidar) Support
- OpenJDK for EV3: A custom OpenJDK JRI/JDK (9,10,11,12) build for EV3
- EV3Dev-lang-java: Low level integration with EV3Dev
- lejos-commons: LeJOS interfaces & utilities
- Installer: A set of Bash scripts to automate some operations with your brick
- Template project: A Gradle project ready to test the project
- Examples: A repository with several examples about the usage of this project
- lejos-navigation: LeJOS navigation stack
- Usb Devices: A library to use Arduino, Grove Sensors, GPS, IMU, LIDAR, and more devices...
- ROS: A library to publish Sensor data to ROS for SLAM purposes
backlog to follow the features in course:
Take a look the documentation to use the project:
and use this easy template project with examples to use the project in a quick way:
Take a look the following repository to learn how to use this project:
Architecture decision record (ADR)
- Why this project was started
- Logging support
- New Display API
- Changes to leJOS sensor API
- Support for newer Java versions
- LeJOS: http://www.lejos.org/
- LeJOS Git: http://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/ev3/code/ci/master/tree/
- LeJOS Forum: https://lejos.sourceforge.io/forum/search.php?keywords=ev3dev&sid=8642d9d1b361bcfdcdeabb26db89e632
- EV3Dev: http://www.ev3dev.org/
- EV3Dev // Getting Started: http://www.ev3dev.org/docs/getting-started/
- EVEDev // Linux Kernel Drivers: http://docs.ev3dev.org/projects/lego-linux-drivers/en/ev3dev-jessie/
- Dexter Forum: http://forum.dexterindustries.com/search?q=java
- AdoptOpenJDK CI: https://ci.adoptopenjdk.net/view/ev3dev/
- OpenJDK: https://openjdk.java.net/