Xapian-Haystack -- A backend for Django-Haystack
xapian-haystack is a backend for use with the Django Haystack search API and the Xapian search engine.
- More information on Haystack can be found here: haystackserach.org.
- More information on Xapian can be found here: xapian.org.
- Python 2.4 (May work with 2.3, but untested)
- Django 1.0.x
- Django-Haystack 1.0
- Xapian 1.0.13+ (May work with earlier versions, but untested)
- mod_wsgi 1.3.X
- Due to an issue with mod_python possibly causing deadlocks with Xapian (issue #364), when Python is not invoked through the "main interpreter", mod_python is not supported with xapian-haystack. It may work, with some tweaking, but your mileage will vary.
- Because Xapian does not support simultaneous
WritableDatabaseconnections, it is strongly recommended that users take care when using
RealTimeSearchIndexto either set
WSGIDaemonProcess processes=1or use some other way of ensuring that there are not multiple attempts to write to the indexes. Alternatively, use
SearchIndexand a cronjob to reindex content at set time intervals (sample cronjob can be found here <http://gist.github.com/216247>_) or derive your own
SearchIndexto implement some other form of keeping your indexes up to date.
Copy or symlink
haystack/backends/or install it by running one of the following commands:
python setup.py install
pip install xapian-haystack
The easiest way to test xapian-haystack is to symlink or copy the
xapian_haystack/tests folder into the haystack/tests folder so that your source tree resembles this layout:
django-haystack +---haystack | | | +---backends | | | +---solr_backend.py | +---whoosh_backend.py | +---xapian_backend.py +---tests | +---core +---solr_tests +---whoosh_tests +---xapian_tests
Once this is done, the tests can be executed in a similar fashion as the rest of the Haystack test-suite:
django-admin.py test xapian_tests --settings=xapian_settings
The latest source code can always be found here: github.com/notanumber/xapian-haystack
xapian-haystack is Copyright (c) 2009-2010 David Sauve, Trapeze. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.