Since the last major release of EggBot software (2.7, in 2016), the following have been implemented:
- Improved Hatch Fill extension; provides neat connections between the endpoints of the hatching, for fast, efficient filling.
- New version of Hershey Text, written from scratch; converts full blocks of text rather than single lines.
- New SVG reordering utility, written from scratch
- Streamlined EggBot menu within Inkscape
- Updated to support Inkscape 0.92
- Updated example set
- New installers for Mac and Windows
- Many bug fixes and reliability improvements
Installing this software:
Links to installer applications and instructions are maintained at our wiki, and summarized below.
Please see the notes below about each operating system. We recommend all users to also download the EggBot Example set ( EggBotExamples_v281.zip ), linked in the assets below.
Download the Mac install disk image,
EggBot.Mac.Bundle.dmg, linked in the assets below. This disk image contains XQuartz and a copy of Inkscape 0.92, modified to include the EggBot software. Run the XQuartz installer, and then copy the included copy of Inkscape to your Applications folder.
Note for AxiDraw users: If you plan to use use both AxiDraw and EggBot, we recommend that you install this version of Inkscape, and then manually install the AxiDraw extensions into the same copy of Inkscape. (Please contact technical support if you need pointers to links or other assistance with this process.)
Manual install for Mac
If you are unable to use the disk image, you can also install the Inkscape extensions manually. Download and install XQuartz and Inkscape 0.92.2. Launch Inkscape to verify that it opens. Then, download and unzip EggBot_extensions_v281.zip, linked in the assets below. Copy the contents of that folder (20 files and one subfolder) into your Inkscape extensions folder, and then restart Inkscape.
Your Inkscape extensions folder is located at:
To open this folder, select "Go to Folder..." Go in the Finder, and paste the location of that folder.
First, download and install Inkscape 0.92.4.
Then, download and run the windows installer program, EggBot_281_r1.exe, linked in the assets below.
Manual install for Windows
If you are unable to use the installer, you can also install the Inkscape extensions manually. Download and install Inkscape 0.92.4. Then, download and unzip EggBot_extensions_v281.zip, linked in the assets below. Copy the contents of that directory (20 files and one subdirectory) into your Inkscape extensions directory, and then restart Inkscape.
Typically, your extensions directory is located at:
C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\extensions\ or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\share\extensions\
Install and launch Inkscape 0.92. Then, download and unzip EggBot_extensions_v281.zip, linked in the assets below. Copy its contents into your Inkscape extensions directory and relaunch Inkscape.
To find your extensions directory within Inkscape, open Edit > Preferences from the menu, select the
System entry. It should list the location of your
User extensions directory.
You may also need to add your user name to the
dialout group in order to access the USB port. Please see:
A firmware update, to EBB firmware v 2.6.2 is recommended for all EggBot machines, if you currently have older firmware installed. You can check which version you have by using the "Version" tab in the software.
- Mac users: Download Firmware_v262_Mac.zip, and run it with AxiDraw connected to your computer via USB.
- Windows users: Download and run Firmware_v262_Win.zip, and run it with AxiDraw connected to your computer via USB.
- Linux users: Please follow the directions here, using the attached file Firmware_v262_Raw.zip.