- Hacker News comments: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2891907
- Reddit comments: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/jkr8r/developer_opensources_200_hr_project_after_client/
- The story behind this: http://fredwu.me/post/9036730472/open-sourcing-a-200-hour-project-the-story-behind-it
- The things I have learnt: http://fredwu.me/post/9703934823/startup-vc-and-the-things-i-learnt-from-open-sourcing
What is Angel Nest?
Angel Nest is the code name of a project initially commissioned by a so called entrepreneur. The system itself and the business are modelled after AngelList. The goal of this project was to become one of the first ones targeted at the Chinese entrepreneurship and investment market.
Why is it open-sourced now?
After spending 200+ hours developing the system, not a dime has been seen or given. The work itself has given me an incredible amount of stress due to the tight schedule and the ever delaying job contract.
Weeks have gone by without any light of payment coming through, thereby I am releasing the source code, hopefully it will at least benefit some people who might be interested.
What is the state of the system?
Are you going to develop this further?
Probably no, but if you think this system could be used for something else, and you would like to work on it together, please feel free to drop me a line.
This system sucks
Well duh. I have my day job as well as my own adventure to worry about on top of this stressful project, so please cut me some slack. ;)
- ruby 1.9
- rails 3.2
gem install bundler
Run Test Suites
rake specfor integration and unit tests
In order to keep DB migration to minimum, migration files are modified during the development. Please run
rake dev:db:reset to keep your database schema up to date.
In order to run the system (for demo and development purposes), you may follow the following steps:
- clone the repo, obviously
- if you use RVM, you may rename the
.rvmrcand adjust its content accordingly
- copy or rename
config/database.ymland adjust its content accordingly
- done, fire up your browser and browse to
- the default login is