This is a collection of awesome things (preferably open source) to make your journalism better. Please add anything you think everyone should know about.
How to add an awesome thing
- open an issue with a link; or
- fork the repo, add something, send a pull request
- ChartBuilder - Chartbuilder is a front-end charting application that facilitates easy creation of simple beautiful charts.
- Datawrapper - Create charts and maps in just four steps. This tool reduces the time you need to create visualizations from hours to minutes.
- Raw - Tool to create interactive graphics from tabular data
- charted - Create charts from CSVs or spreadsheet links
- timeline.js - Creates timelines that are easy and intuitive to use
- Open Refine - Tool for working with messy data (cleaing, transforming, filtering, etc.).
- Mr. DataConverter - Converts Excel data into a web-friendly formats (HTML, JSON and XML).
- csvkit - Suite of command line tools for converting to and working with CSV files.
- agate - Python data analysis library, an alternative to numpy or pandas.
- proof - Python library for creating repeatable data pipelines.
- jq - A lightweight and flexible JSON processor (slice, filter, map and transform data).
- konklone - Simple JSON to CSV converter
- DocumentCloud - DocumentCloud is a catalog of primary source documents and a tool for annotating, organizing and publishing them on the web.
- Pinpoint and Pinpoint Editor - Web app for quickly creating and editing Pinpoint maps
- Mapshaper - Tool to simplify and convert Geojson, Topojson and shapefiles.
- Mapbox Studio - Tool to create custom map styles.
- geojson.io - Web based tool to create and manipulate geo-files(geojson, topojson, kml, shp, etc).
- mapstarter - Web based tool to create interactive maps based on d3.js.
- ogr2ogr web client - Converts several types of geo formats to Geojson.
- cartodb - Tool to create interactive maps.
- storymap.js - Tool to help you tell stories on the web with interactive maps.
- Odyssey - Tool to create interactive map based stories.
- dropchop - Browser-based GIS powered by Mapbox.js and Turf.js
Memes and Share Graphics
- Meme - Meme is a generator that Vox Media uses to create social sharing images. See working version at http://www.sbnation.com/a/meme.
- CardKit - CardKit is flexible, SVG image / card creation tool, with simple configuration options, which is easy to extend.
- Quotable - Quotable is an app that lets you make sharable images out of quotations.
- Awesome Science Writing - Resources for science writers