Light Media Center
A simple, light and fast collection of scripts, configuration files and web code to implement a basic media center capable to run on single board computers like BeagleBone and Raspberry PI, OLinuxino, etc. This project transforms a low-cost single-board computer, like the well-known BeagleBone or Raspberry PI, into a low-cost, low-power home media center that can download contents from both the BitTorrent network and from eDonkey network and stream them directly on multimedia player devices (like smart TVs or smartphones).
Some features of the media center:
- Runs a torrent client (Aria2) for downloading .torrent files on an external drive attached to the media center hardware.
- Runs an eDonkey client (MLdonkey) for downloading files from eDonkey Network or Kademlia network.
- Has a web interface built around open-source components (h5ai, webui-aria2, yaaw, etc)
- Responsive web design (thanks to Skeleton template) for use by smartphones/tablets
- Tested on Beaglebone, Raspberry and OLinuxino
How to Install
Links with Other Projects
You can enable integration with another project I created, to remotely command from your Light Media Center also your irrigation system. Irrigation system is just a possibility, in practice you can modify the Light Media Center to connect it with anything else!
Multiple Hard Disks
To handle multiple hard disks in a clean, safe way, a better approach compared to the one used now (i.e., having multiple /media folders to manage) could be to use the OVERLAYFS (https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/filesystems/overlayfs.txt):
mount -t overlay overlay -olowerdir=/media/extdiscMAIN,upperdir=/media/extdiscMAIN2,workdir=/media/extdiscMAIN2/work /media/extdiscMERGED
Alternatively, a system like Git Annex (http://git-annex.branchable.com/) may be able to handle contents scattered on several hard disks.
Support for Remote hard drives
Several new routers/modems allow for attaching network-shared storage disks. E.g. TPLINK W8970 modem activates an FTP server on a specific IP address.