A Rails site where cyclists who were "doored" can report their incident for statistics in Canada
Currently using the MIT license for the project.
Live Developers Playground / Testing Environment
Take a stab! It's located at dev.doored.ca
Because, back in 2012, the Toronto police redefined what a "collision" is, and apparently that's a good enough reason to discontinue tracking "dooring" incidents.
Because the police won't track dooring until they're ordered to do so.
Because despite the fact that the Police board wants Toronto cops to review the policy, It'll take the Toronto Police 3 months to respond. I can build a reporting database application in just 1/6 of that time.
Because I feel it's important to track and record something that's an issue in this community. By not tracking these incidents, how can we even begin adequately address the issue?
- Ruby on Rails 4 framework
- Developed with Ruby 2.0.0
- Using HTML5, CSS, CoffeeScript, LESS for front-end
- Database probably will be Postgres
- Considering Heroku or Linode for hosting
Local Application Installation
This is very much a TODO part of the README. Assumes you have ruby 2 and bundler
Clone the source to your computer
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:f3ndot/doorprize.git
Export the required environment variables:
export DOORED_SECRET_TOKEN_KEY=deadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeef export DOORED_DEVISE_PEPPER=deadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeef
The following environment variables are expected in staging and production:
DOORED_SECRET_TOKEN_KEY DOORED_DEVISE_PEPPER SENDGRID_USERNAME SENDGRID_PASSWORD
Load the database:
bundle exec rake db:schema:load
Start the server:
bundle exec rails server
Visit the site at
Note on Patches/Pull Requests
- Fork the project.
- Make your feature addition or bug fix on a new branch.
- Add tests for it!
- Commit, do not mess with version, or history.
- Send me a pull request. Bonus points for topic branches.
- Toronto cyclists fear dooring, but police don't track it
- Toronto police won't track 'dooring' until they're ordered to do so
- Police board wants Toronto cops to review ‘dooring’ policy