Pass-gen is a light password generator. Having multiple passwords or even a password per service is usually a secure practice but it can get quite annoying to invent every time a new one.
Every option from pass-gen defines character sets. Pass-gen will ensure that the password generated contains at least one character from each 'character set' provided. For example, the option -ac specifies two characters sets: 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' and 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'.
Note: When using the -s option, you can define character sets by separating strings with a space. For example: pass-gen -s "abcdef 12345".
This tool comes with different options:
- -l NUMBER : specify the length of the password. It is possible to use a range like N1-N2.
- -s STRING : specify the string that pass-gen should use to generate the password. In short, it is all the characters possible in the password. This option will always be override by the usage of -a, -ac, -sp, -nu.
- -n NUMBER : The number of password pass-gen will generate.
- -a : Use only alphabetical characters.
- -ac : Use only alphanumeric characters.
- -sp : Use only alphanumeric and a few special characters.
- -nu : Use only numeric characters.
This tool was written by faltad - Jean-Baptiste Poupon