This is a major release with many backwards incompatible changes.
Backwards incompatible changes
- Values NULL and 0 are not allowed in update's stable_karma and unstable_karma (#1029).
- Updates no longer have a
titleattribute. This affects many elements of Bodhi's REST API,
including URLs (update titles can no longer be used to reference updates, only aliases), REST API
data structures, and Bodhi's messages (#186, #1542, #1714, and #1946).
prefer_sslsetting has been renamed to
libravatar_prefer_tlsand now defaults to
- Integration with pkgdb is no longer supported (#1970).
/admin/API has been removed (#1985).
- The relationship between Packages and Users was dropped. As a result, the
parameter in users query API has also been removed (#1997).
- Support for CVE tracking was dropped. It was technically not possible to use the feature, so it
is unlikely to affect any deployments (#1998).
processingupdate status has been removed (#1999).
/masherAPI has been removed (#2024).
- Default sqlalchemy.url setting points to PostgreSQL instead of SQLite (#2040).
Masherwas renamed to
Composer. As a result, the
script was renamed to
bodhi-clean-old-composes, notification topics
mashtask.sync.donewas renamed to
max_concurrent_masheswas renamed to
bodhi-monitor-composesscript has been removed (#2171).
- The stacks feature has been removed (#2241).
bodhi-manage-releasesscript has been removed (#2420).
- Support for anonymous comments was dropped. As a result, the
anonymousfield on the Comment
object was removed and comments query API parameter
anonymouswas dropped. All
captcha.*settings were removed (#2700).
- Bodhi client and server no longer support Python 2. Python 3.6+ are the only supported Python
- Support for the
Buildobject was dropped (#2782).
- Support for
active_releasesparameter in updates query API was dropped (#2815).
- Support for fedmsg has been dropped (#2838).
/updates/ALIAS/TITLEAPI has been removed (#2869).
- Support for update's old_updateid was dropped (#2903).
- The UI no longer has fedmsg integrations to show events happening elsewhere in Bodhi
- Support for update's greenwave_unsatisfied_requirements was dropped (#2958).
- The batching feature was dropped, and thus updates can no longer be in the batched request state.
As a result, the bodhi-dequeue-stable CLI has also been removed (#2977).
- Support for obsolete scripts in
toolsfolder was dropped (#2980).
- Support for update's greenwave_summary_string has been dropped (#1339 and #2988).
- Bug objects no longer include a
- The CLI now defaults to the
--waitflag when creating or editing buildroot overrides. The
old behavior can be achieved with the
- All messages and API responses that serialize updates no longer have a
was redundant with the included
user.namefield, and was only in place for compatibility
with Bodhi 1 which was EOL many years ago (#3144).
- All of Bodhi's fedmsgs have been changed. A new bodhi.messages packages has been added with new
published message schemas. Note that only the fields listed in the documented schemas are
supported in Bodhi 4, even though Bodhi still sends messages similar to the messages it sent in
the past. Message consumers should not rely on any undocumented fields in these messages. If you
need information that is not included in the supported schema, please work with the Bodhi project
to get the schema adjusted accordingly. Bodhi's messages are now documented.
- pkgdb is no longer required (#1970).
- cryptography is no longer required (#2700).
- Fonts are no longer required for the captcha (Bodhi previously defaulted to using
liberation-mono-fonts, but this wasn't a strict requirement since the font was configurable)
- pillow is no longer required (#2700).
- six is no longer required for the client or server (#2759).
bodhi-servernow depends on
- kitchen is no longer required (#3094).
- hawkey is no longer required.
- PyYAML is now a required dependency (#3174).
- Bodhi now requires Python 3.6 or greater (#2856).
- Bodhi no longer uses or works with
- Backoff is now a required dependency (#3237).
Server upgrade instructions
The Bodhi server must be upgraded from Bodhi 3.13.0 or newer to 4.0.0 (i.e., it is not supported to
upgrade a server older than 3.13.0 directly to 4.0.0 as 4.0.0 has trimmed database migrations from
the older releases.
This release contains database migrations. To apply them, run:
$ sudo -u apache /usr/bin/alembic -c /etc/bodhi/alembic.ini upgrade head
- Bodhi now provides a
RateLimiterlog filter and documents how to use it. Together with
pyramid_sawingit is now possible to get rate limited e-mail tracebacks from the web server
- All updates in a release are set to obsolete status when the release is archived (#2204).
- Bodhi will now comment on updates when their test gating status changes (#2210).
bodhi-pushnow blocks composing retired releases (#2555).
- A new
bodhi.messagesPython package has been added as a convenience for Python consumers
who wish to subscribe to Bodhi's messages (#2842).
- Bodhi can now create zchunked
- The server has a new
warm_cache_on_startsetting, defaulting to
True. It is mostly
useful when developing Bodhi and controls whether the Bodhi initialization should build caches or
- The compose states are now documented (#2974).
- Added a database index on
build.update_id, which sped up some common queries
- Log messages are emitted when buildroot overrides are expired to explain why they were expired
- A missing database index was discovered on
comments.update_id. Adding it improved
performance of a common query by about 99.7% and as a result many Bodhi operations are much faster
now, including update retrieval in the API, CLI, and web UI (#3062 and #3201).
- The CLI now allows users to add and remove builds from updates with
- Users can now use markdown to easily reference GCC and Sourceware tickets (#3129).
- A new log message is emitted when an update is blocked due to test gating (#3143).
- The CLI can now download debuginfo with the new
- Since the
active_releasesquery parameter was dropped, an issue causing strange pagination
results is no longer present (#2316).
- Waiver details are now displayed in the web UI (#2365).
- Fixed a crash in Bodhi's error handler (#2588).
- Fixed a crash on the HTML rendering of
/composes/when composes were in a particular state
- Correctly handle
ConnectionResetErrorin the Composer (#2850).
- The CLI's composes info subcommand is now documented in its man page (#2927).
mail.templates_basepathsetting is now documented (#2931).
- Fixed pipeline results showing with heading 'undefined' (#2969).
- Compare enum values instead of descriptions (#3012 and #3119).
bodhi-approve-testingscript is a lot less chatty (#3021).
- Bodhi's API can now serialize internal server errors as JSON so that the clients can properly
display error messages (#3035).
--composed-by-bodhiflag is now documented in the
bodhiman page (#3085).
- A variety of spelling and grammatical errors were fixed (#3131).
- Bodhi's markdown now uses TLS for links to pear in its markdown (#3173).
- Stop using an API that
- Do not crash on invalid RSS requests (#3227).
- Removed flash_log, since it didn't make sense (#1165).
- Removed some useless assert statements (#1200, #2848, and #2888).
- An unused enum value was removed (#1999).
- The integration tests now run against all supported Fedora releases (#2824).
- Bodhi's release process is now documented (#2918).
met_testing_requirements()got a much needed rename and refactor (#3158).
- The Vagrant box now uses the same number of CPUs as the host (#3197).
- Numerous docblock corrections and improvements.
- Introduced type annotation to a few modules and added CI enforcement on them with
- Numerous improvements have been made to Bodhi's CI tests, including expanded test coverage.
- The Vagrant environment now uses unsafe IO for a small speed boost.
- The integration tests run more efficiently now.
The following developers contributed to Bodhi 4.0.0:
- Adam Williamson
- Anatoli Babenia
- Aurélien Bompard
- Clement Verna
- Jeremy Cline
- Jonathan Dieter
- Josh Soref
- Mattia Verga
- Miro Hrončok
- Nils Philippsen
- Owen W. Taylor
- Patrick Uiterwijk
- Sebastian Wojciechowski
- Troy Dawson
- Randy Barlow