Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

(M/L) As a AAA developer I want Continuous Deployment to the staging environment so that I can easily test/demo new features #64

Open
ryanlerch opened this issue Jan 9, 2020 · 17 comments
Assignees
Labels
M
Projects

Comments

@ryanlerch
Copy link
Contributor

@ryanlerch ryanlerch commented Jan 9, 2020

Acceptance Criteria

  1. Openshift project is created in staging
  2. Configuration and Secrets are managed in ansible
  3. Application is build from git
  4. Every commit on the staging branch triggers a new build and deployment in OpenShift
    DOD:
  • All AC completed above
  • Team review

Initially filed as:
fedora-infra/freeipa-fas#15

@ryanlerch ryanlerch added this to To do in AAA Jan 9, 2020
@ryanlerch ryanlerch added L M labels Jan 9, 2020
@abompard

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@abompard abompard commented Jan 17, 2020

As discussed in yesterday's standup, @relrod thinks the codebase is not mature enough to deploy to staging, and suggests using CommuniShift.

It just occured to me that if the codebase is not mature enough for staging, maybe this User Story should be put back in the backlog because we are not ready to work on it. Deploying an early version to CommuniShift and then doing the work again for staging doesn't seem like the best use of our time.

@relrod

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@relrod relrod commented Jan 17, 2020

Deploying an early version to CommuniShift and then doing the work again for staging doesn't seem like the best use of our time.

I'd actually argue otherwise. Deploying to communishift gets us a few benefits:

  • We learn of any issues getting this running on OpenShift. (There shouldn't be, but who knows?)
  • We have an always-online dev environment that we can point to and play with and test against.
  • Once we know how the communishift deployment goes, getting it working on staging should almost be trivial since we'll know what to expect.
  • It's less confusing if someone finds it for now because it's not on a *.fedoraproject.org domain
  • We can't use the staging IPA server anyway because it's still EL7 and we're blocked on changing that until EL 8.2 comes out (unless we make a Fedora IPA staging server)
@abompard

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@abompard abompard commented Jan 17, 2020

OK that makes sense.

@sfinn85

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@sfinn85 sfinn85 commented Jan 20, 2020

Thanks all, so we are deploying to CommunuiShift. As we come to an end of this sprint it may need to pulled into the next, if that makes sense

@sfinn85 sfinn85 moved this from To do to In progress in AAA Jan 20, 2020
@abompard abompard self-assigned this Jan 24, 2020
@abompard

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@abompard abompard commented Jan 29, 2020

OK, I have setup securitas in CommuniShift, but to make it work I need a FreeIPA instance. I have tried setting that up in CommuniShift too, but the FreeIPA container requires running as root, and the CommuniShift policy does not allow that. @relrod suggested that we could run another FreeIPA instance in EC2, but I have never used EC2 nor Fedora's account on it.
I'm OK with keeping working on that aspect but somebody with more EC2 experience would go much faster than me, and I'll need help if I'm to learn that stack. Volunteers? Or at least pointers to start with? Thanks.

@abompard abompard moved this from In progress to Blocked in AAA Jan 29, 2020
@sfinn85

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@sfinn85 sfinn85 commented Jan 30, 2020

Hi @abompard
Can you reach out to the wider cpe team on mail or on google chat channel to see if someone can assist, if team members on this team are unsure?

@sfinn85 sfinn85 moved this from Blocked to Testing in AAA Jan 31, 2020
@sfinn85 sfinn85 moved this from Testing to Blocked in AAA Jan 31, 2020
@abompard

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@abompard abompard commented Feb 3, 2020

Email sent an hour ago.

@sfinn85

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@sfinn85 sfinn85 commented Feb 3, 2020

Thanks for update

@sfinn85

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@sfinn85 sfinn85 commented Feb 4, 2020

Free IPA - deploy ( alternative way needed )
Waiting for a reply on CPE list - follow up 2/5/20 if no ans

@sfinn85

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@sfinn85 sfinn85 commented Feb 6, 2020

Sprint 3 planning update: Free IPA - Rick gave access that may work. ( Unknown - but hopefully nothing major ) M

@abompard abompard removed the M label Feb 6, 2020
@sfinn85

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@sfinn85 sfinn85 commented Feb 10, 2020

Just adding update from daily stand up:
Need Free IPA instance somewhere to test.
@abompard has not received access. @relrod can you follow up
CPE list discussion takes place about making an instance that will produce, email sent, Kevin responded so hopefully we will get this unblocked.

@nirik

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@nirik nirik commented Feb 12, 2020

I have this on my list to create/setup this week.

If it's blocking/more urgent, please do let me know.

@sfinn85

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@sfinn85 sfinn85 commented Feb 12, 2020

Thanks a mill @nirik really appreciate it. It is blocking Aurelien from progressing with the remaining work that needs to be done once access is given but I am not sure if its more urgent now then it was originally? What are your thoughts @abompard

@nirik

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@nirik nirik commented Feb 12, 2020

ok, so I looked more at this. What OS do you need? I was going to do centos 8.1, but there's a pile of odd images in aws for it. I asked our CentOS folks, who pointed me to a .qcow, but thats going to be a pain to import. So options:

  • Just do fedora 31 on it - This is easiest, but might not be the same as staging/prod.
  • Find/get a CentOS 8.1 for it - I can do this, but need to know if it's worth the effort.
  • Use RHEL8.1 for it - but then we have to deal with subscriptions on it, which might be anoying on a development server.

Thoughts?

@abompard

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@abompard abompard commented Feb 13, 2020

I would be fine with F31, since it's for development purposes, as long as I can install the same version of FreeIPA there that is going to be in staging/prod.

@nirik

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@nirik nirik commented Feb 13, 2020

ok. I have created a f31 instance and put your ssh key on it. Let me know if you have any problems with it, need more resources, etc.

@nirik

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member

@nirik nirik commented Feb 13, 2020

Oh, and I mailed @abompard privately the access info.

@sfinn85 sfinn85 moved this from Blocked to In progress in AAA Feb 17, 2020
@abompard abompard added M and removed L labels Feb 19, 2020
@abompard abompard moved this from In progress to Ready for review in AAA Feb 19, 2020
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
AAA
  
Ready for review
Linked pull requests

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

None yet
5 participants
You can’t perform that action at this time.