1) --enable-symlinks configure option (on by default)
2) --enable-multiple-versions configure option (off by default)
3) --enable-absolute-shared-libs configure option (on by default)
4) support for DESTDIR at "make install"
5) support for --bindir=BINDIR, --libdir=LIBDIR, ...
6) Gambit runtime option -:~~bin=BINDIR to override installation directory
7) ~~bin expands to BINDIR (or ~~/bin if none was specified)
8) make uninstall removes all the files that were installed (but not all the directories)
9) configure --help is much more accurate (the exception is that some of the directory specification options are not used, such as --pdfdir=...)
10) gsi -:s automatically loads ~~lib/syntax-case