Inspired by DATA USA this is a REACT project that utilize public data API for data visualization. In particular, the application will illustrate a snapshot of a country using data such as the World Bank API and the DHS dataset.
demo: A World Snapshot
- DHS: DHS data set is published by US AID. Following its API documents, indicators are selected to depict a country's well doing.
- The World Bank: Another comprehensive data set is The World Bank set. Check out its indicators page for a list of available indexes. Note that official document is still refering to v1 version of the API, which will block on CORS requests. Using v2/en endpoint instead. For example, to get a list of country names:
var api = "http://api.worldbank.org/v2/en/countries?format=json&per_page=1000";
- Materialize: "A modern responsive front-end framework based on Material Design" by their words.
- REACT: core
- webpack: new module builder that is making lot of buzz these days.
- fetch: a new way to talk to API endpoints instead of
nvmand node 9.4.
npm install: to pull all dependencies
npm run dev
localhost:8080, browser will auto-refresh when webpack detects a change to source files.
npm run build
pip install awscli
- assuming you have setup your AWS account,
aws s3 sync . s3://snapshots.world/.
- verify on a browser.