CANBus logger using Arduino and MCP2515/MCP2551.
- Arduino Duemilanove
- MCP2551 CAN transceiver
- MCP2515 CAN controller
I used schematics based on SparkFun's CANBus shield: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/DevTools/Arduino/canbus_shield-v12.pdf
- CAN library from Steven (http://modelrail.otenko.com/arduino/arduino-controller-area-network-can)
- Simple Arduino program which sends received CAN messages via serial port @ 115200 baud to PC
- GUI in Python which handles selection of CANBus baud rate and receiving messages.
- Python 2.7
Arduino pin MCP2515 pin (DIP18) 2 reset, 17 SPI interface 10 cs, 16 11 si, 14 12 so, 15 13 sck, 13
- Connect hardware
- Upload Arduino program. I use scons build system, so I don't know (nor care) if it compiles in brain-dead Arduino IDE.
- Launch GUI by running
python logger.py. Select serial port, CAN bitrate and connect.
- SparkFun for their CANBus shield schematics
- Steven for his thorough description of CANBus usage with Arduino (http://modelrail.otenko.com/arduino/arduino-controller-area-network-can)