Fontool can help you to test your webfonts. It's focussing on the following aspects:
Is it friendly to read and suitable for large amounts of text?
How well does the font perform on different platforms, browsers and devices? Is it well hinted so that it looks good on windows?
Does your font meet the right temper, is it legible?
Some languages hold very special characters which you might need. Modern browsers often fake missing charaters but this wouldn’t work on older versions of IE or some mobile browsers. Thats why this demo features hungarian too, just in case.
What happens if the font wouldn’t load?
Who is it for?
This is a very simple solution to scrutinize your font of choice for the aspects mentioned above. Wether you are from a Brand, UX, Visual or Interaction design field I hope this can contribute to your workflow. The purpose is to rule out complicated font choices early in the design process. At the moment this works with google fonts and it would also load fonts installed on your system.
In the planning
More funcionality is coming in the future, e.g.:
- Font information (origins, available families, license) and Specimen.
- Integration with Typekit and font upload (the former might be impossible due to the very limited typekit api)
- Maybe custom text editing
- Continouus integration of further languages
- Suggestions and feedback are always welcome.