Next Firebug generation built on top of native Firefox developer tools getfirebug.com
Firebug is free and open source software distributed under the BSD License.
Structure of the extension follows Jetpack standards.
- data HTML pages, etc.
- chrome Stylesheets, localization files, etc.
- test Directory with test files
Hacking on Firebug.next (aka Firebug 3)
- Get JPM:
git clone https://github.com/mozilla/jpm(CFX is not supported anymore)
- Switch to the JPM folder and install and link it via
npm link. (Also needs to be done after fetching the latest changes to the JPM repo.)
- Get the Firebug.next repo:
git clone https://github.com/firebug/firebug.next
- (Optional) Install FBTrace in your Firefox dev profile
jpm run -b <file path to your Firefox binary>in the Firebug.next directory to launch Firefox (you need Firefox Nightly build at the moment), which automatically creates a clean profile. If you wish to run it with an existing profile (e.g. to include FBTrace), first create a new profile via the Profile Manager, and then run
jpm run -b <file path to your Firefox binary> -p <path to your Firefox profile (needs to start with /)>.
Run Firebug with Firefox Nightly on OSX:
jpm run -b /Applications/FirefoxNightly.app
Run Firebug with local installation of Add-on SDK (git clone https://github.com/mozilla/addon-sdk):
jpm run -o <path to Add-on SDK> -b <file path to your Firefox binary>
.xpi file for deployment and installation:
Run Firebug test suite:
Running tests requires some external modules, you need to download and install them:
Read our wiki
- Firebug.next wiki: https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/Firebug.next
- Add-on SDK: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK
- DevTools API: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/DevToolsAPI
- Coding Style: https://github.com/mozilla/addon-sdk/wiki/Coding-style-guide
- DevTools Extension Examples: https://github.com/mozilla/addon-sdk/tree/devtools/examples
- DevTools/Hacking: https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevTools/Hacking
- Firefox Developer Edition: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Developer_Edition