This is a Drupal installation profile for B-Translator.
A full distro including Drupal core (with patches) and the btranslation installation profile can be built like this:
cd /var/www/ sudo git clone https://github.com/dashohoxha/B-Translator.git sudo B-Translator/install/all.sh
For more detailed information about installation see docs/INSTALL.org.
What means B-Translator
The codename B-Translator can be decoded like Bee Translator, since it aims at collecting very small translation contributions from a wide crowd of people and to dilute them into something useful.
It can also be decoded like Be Translator, as an invitation to anybody to give his small contribution for translating programs or making their translations better.
If you could come up with some other interesting explanations, please let me know.
The goals of the project
This software helps to get feedback about l10n (translations of the programs). It also helps to unify all the different translations and to ensure consistency among the translations.
The motivation for developing such a software is that the traditional (current) l10n workflow requires highly dedicated people, and does not allow (or at least does not facilitate) small contributions from random people that do not have such a high dedication, determination and enough free time.
Also, the process of reviewing and correcting translations is not easy and does not facilitate the feedback from the users of the translated programs. Although the translators are usually very good and professional, they can make mistakes too, and sometimes they may miss the best translation for some certain terms. Some feedback from the crowd of the users would be more than welcome, if there are tools to collect and facilitate it.
Another problem with translations is that sometimes they are not consistent. The same string has different translations in different programs, and sometimes even the same translator may have provided different translations for the same string in different cases.
To summarize, the problems that this software tries to solve are these:
- Merging translations from different sources (for example translations made on Launchpad and those made on KDE or GNOME).
- Helping to ensure consistency among the translations.
- Getting feedback about the translations from a wide crowd of people and users. This feedback can be in terms of votes for the best translation (when there are more than one translations for the same string), or it can be a new alternative translation (for an existing translation), or it can be a new translation suggestion (for a string that is not translated yet).
- Discussion group/forum
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups&hl=en#!forum/btranslator
- Chat/IRC: #btranslator on irc.freenode.net