wysihtml5x is an extended and less strict approach on xing/wysihtml5 open source rich text editor based on HTML5 technology.
The code is completely library agnostic: No jQuery, Prototype or similar is required.
This project was initiated and is supported by the XING AG. Thanks!
- Auto linking of urls as-you-type
- Generates valid and semantic HTML5 markup (no
- Can use class-names instead of inline styles
- Unifies line-break handling across browsers (hitting enter will create
- Auto-parses content inserted via copy & paste (from Word, Powerpoint, PDF, other web pages, …)
- Converts invalid or unknown html tags into valid/similar tags
- Source code view for users with HTML skills
- Uses sandboxed iframes in order to prevent identity theft through XSS
- Editor inherits styles and attributes (placeholder, autofocus, …) from original textarea (you only have to style one element)
Extended features not present in xing/wysihtml5 0.4.0pre
- Can be used without iframe sandbox when initiated on div instead of textarea
- Blocking of image drag drop in editable is removed
- Table insertion management and cell merging commands
- Improved parser with options to: unwrap tag instead of remove, keep defined styles, complex object type definitions for allowing elements.
- Ability to add uneditable area inside editor text flow (useful when building modules like video tools, advanced image editor etc.)
- Improved formatblock handling
- Ability for user to remove formating with only collapsed caret. (without having to select exactly whole text)
- Improved speed
The rich text editing interface is supported in IE8+, FF 3.5+, Safari 4+, Safari on iOS 5+, Opera 11+ and Chrome.
Graceful Degradation: Users with other browsers will see the textarea and are still able to write plain HTML by themselves.
Companies using wysihtml5
- Basecamp – Leading web-based project management and collaboration tool
- XING – Business Social Network with more than 12 million members
- Qype – Largest user-generated local review site in Europe
- and many more …
Before starting wysihtml5 we spent a lot of time investigating the different browsers and their behaviors.
Check this repository:
A compatibility table for rich text query commands can be found here:
A pure native rich text editor with HTML validator and live source preview is here: