xaosim: a series of tools used to simulate an XAO-like system
The specificity of XAOSIM is that it was built around shared memory data structures defined in the context of the SCExAO instrument by Olivier Guyon and Frantz Martinache. This approach makes it possible to design real-time AO control software using XAOSIM's simulation environment data and deploy it on an actual instrument (assuming that it uses the same exchange format) in a transparent manner.
In addition to the simulation library package, a shared memory data viewer GUI (shmview) is now part of the distribution.
Recommandation for installation:
>> python setup.py install --user
This will create a .config/xaosim/ configuration directory in the user home folder.
It is also recommended to add ~/.local/bin/ to the path:
>> export PATH=$HOME/.local/bin/:$PATH
# import xaosim
# mysetup = xaosim.instrument("CIAO")
In a distinct shell:
>> shmview /tmp/phscreen.im.shm &
>> shmview /tmp/ciao_cam.im.shm &
Will open two pygame displays that show the live image and phase screen.
The package includes:
- a deformable mirror (DM) module that includes a multi-channel communication system, assumed to be located in a pupil plane.
- an atmospheric phase screen (phscreen) module that simulates a Kolmogorov frozen screen drifting over the aperture in a predefined direction.
- a camera (CAM) module that produces images of a point source affected after the wavefront has undergone the transformation induced by the DM.
It relies on a series of auxilliary tools:
- pupil: used to generate models of the aperture of several telescopes.
- zernike: used to generate Zernike wavefront modes on the DM.
- shmlib: a library that uses shared memory data structures like the ones designed to control the SCExAO instrument at the Subaru Telescope.
- shmview: a python GUI using the shared memory library to visualize the 2D data structures. The current version of shmview is no longer based on the pygame framework but on Qt4. This program benefits from an additional module designed by Eric Jeschke (email@example.com) to make it multi-thread safe.
On some systems, after installation is complete, the call for "shmview" may fail due to apparent permission limitations. The exact error message encountered is: "IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xaosim-0.1-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/requires.txt"
The current fix is to set the permissions right on this requirement file:
"sudo chmod a+r /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xaosim-0.1-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/requires.txt"