This is a book project, about how to design new typefaces with FontForge.
How To Contribute
If you wish to contribute to this website, you are very welcome to! Here are a few ways you can do so:
Report an issue for someone else to resolve, by clicking the ‘Issues’ button at the top of this page, in the main navigation bar.
Contribute a change directly, by forking it on GitHub and editing the plain text files, then send a pull request. (If that sounds unfamiliar, learn how with GitHub’s excellent interactive introduction).
Discuss general topics on the fontforge-devel email discussion list
The book and this site is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
How This Site Is Made
If you’re not familiar with GitHub, they have excellent help pages.
_layouts/*.html: HTML template files
_includes/*.html: snippets of HTML that are included in pages and templates
assets/: CSS, JS and image files
_config.yml: Configuration for Jekyll (ignore this file)
en-US/: the site’s contents, in US English
en-US/images/precompressed/: Directory of the original, pre-compressed content images
Each page is in Markdown format, with a
.md file extension. These files are converted into corresponding
.html files by Jekyll when they start with these lines:
- published: if the page should not be published, set this to
bookpageis the default
- weight: an integer value starts from 1 that effects the ordering of the page in the sidebar and homepage lists
- category: the category the page belongs in
- title: the page title used in the title tag and h1 of the page
--- published: true layout: bookpage category: Workflow weight: 3 title: Page Title ---
Weight lists are used to help contributors determine and document the weight of all pages. Please follow the following rules:
- Please update the according list if any chapter/page is added or removed.
- If the new chapter is in between existing chapters, Just add a weight between existing weights.
- If the new chapter is after any exising chapters, Add the weight number by 3.
- If no more full numbers can be add between the exising weights, start using decimals.
- Only edit the weight list for your chapter's language.
|3||What Is a Font|
How to build the site
For Linux, ensure that ruby-dev is installed on your system: e.g. for Ubuntu 14.04:
sudo apt-get install ruby-dev
First install Jekyll, with
sudo gem install jekyll
To see the site as it will appear after processing by Jekyll and review your edits live in a browser layout, run:
jekyll serve --watch
Now browse http://localhost:4000/.
How to compress images with Grunt
Put all the raw images inside
Make sure npm is already installed in your computer, then install all the dependencies with:
Once the installations are done, you can go ahead to minify all the images with this Grunt command:
Wait for Grunt to notify you, and all the compressed images will be inside