The Hacienda must be built
Things are very much at a planning stage right now, but this is the place for a future version of Libre.fm running on a new codebase (this project) written in modern PHP using the Laravel framework.
See the 'dev' branch for slow Work-In-Progress
- Libre.fm is effectively a silo (other than Last.fm which it talks to, although federation with other instances has been possible for a long time)
- Libre.fm has over 350,000 registered users and 274 million scrobbles.
- Libre.fm should be a more active citizen in federated social web.
Why not improve GNU FM?
- GNU FM is built on 2009 era PHP frameworks and technology. We can probably keep going with it but we can probably encourage more developers using modern PHP frameworks (like Laravel)
- GNU FM relies on frameworks and libraries that are no longer being maintained
- GNU project doesn't handle web applications well, is more focused on other pieces of free software
- A new project, free from the GNU project ownership will give us new opportunities
What won't change
- The license -- GNU AGPL 3.0 or later
See the issues tab and comment on #1