- Theo Schlossnagle github, twitter, blog: Esoteric Curio
- MattRay github, twitter, irc: mattray, blog
- Bryan Berry github, twitter, irc: bryanwb, blog: devopsanywhere
- Nathen Harvey github, twitter, irc: nathenharvey, blog
- Tell us about yourself
- You have a reputation for strong opinions, backed up with results, tell us about your successes/failures
- You've grown your hair out, hard to recognize you now ** "I'm testing combinatoric possibilities with hair and facial hair styles."
- Web Application Development, Database Services & Support company
- Is there a "go-to" stack for customers you start with?
- LAMP? It seems there's a lot of experience on staff for that? ** MySQL vs. PostgreSQL? ** tried and true technology that just needs proper engineering? ** do you frequently evaluate new technology, or wait for it to shake itself out?
- OmniTI Process http://omniti.com/does/the-big-picture/process Understand the business Define objectives Perform analysis Achieve goals
- Why another monitoring tool?
- How does Circonus work?
- Monitoring sucks, how does Circonus fix that?
- How easy is it to / how does one get started with Circonus?
- Reconnoiter vs. Circonus - Can I run Circonus myself?
- Alerting - does Circonus integrate with the PagerDuty API?
- How active a community is there around Reconoitter? ** Distro support for reconnoiter?
- What is the design philosophy of Reconnoiter? ** ( What's wrong with round robin databases? ) ** ( How much is too much data? ) ** ( How important is Service Oriented Architecture? ) ** ( Are APIs important?)
- What, when, where is Surge? ** Scalability & Performance Conference ** Sometimes described as a more intimate, less marketing-driven Velocity East? ** No browser-performance angle?
- Why did you start Surge? Why is it in Baltimore?
- Who's speaking at Surge this year?
- Why should I come to Surge?
- How do you differentiate Surge?
- How much of it is still driven by OmniTI, versus other companies?
- Why build your own OS?
- Do you intend for it to be a general purpose server OS, is this something you expect wide usage of?
- Why should I consider moving to OmniOS?
- What are the most interesting parts of OmniOS?
- Who's using OmniOS in production?
- How active a community is there around OmniOS?
- How close were you to naming it TheOS?
Scalable Internet Architectures
- You've written about many things including the career of Web Operations. What is required for one to move from apprentice to master?
- Anything you've seen since that makes you want to put out a new edition?
- Other books on the horizon?
- You're highly respected as a system administrator, what do you think about that?
fq and message queuing
- What does the abbreviation stand for?
- why did you create fq? Didn't you get the memo that 0mq is the future?
- what makes fq so fast?
- Will messaging become increasingly important for sysadmins?
- Were you born w/ a beard? Did it itch?
- You've worked with lots of organizations in this space...what are some things that everyone gets wrong?
- How do you see the Web Operations discipline evolving over the next 3-5 years?
- At ChefConf, Adam said they're working on bottling you into a bunch of Chef recipes. How's that work going?
- What do you use on your desktop?
- Starwood Preferred Guest
- United Mileage Plus
- No, Really, Some of My Best Friends Are Data Scientists
- Time-ordered output in DTrace
Are you or your company interested in sponsoring the show? You can now use the Flattr micropayment service on our website (foodfightshow.org) or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Follow @foodfightshow on twitter.
Until next time, Keep It Hot!