Show Date: Thursday, June 21 15:00 EDT
Monitoringsucks, a Status Update
- Patrick Debois github, twitter, irc: jedi4ever, blog
- Lusis github, twitter, irc: lusis, blog
- MattRay github, twitter, irc: mattray, blog
- Nathen Harvey github, twitter, irc: nathenharvey, blog
- Bryan Berry github, twitter, irc: bryanwb, blog: devopsanywhere
Topic: Monitoring Sucks
- Original blog post
- Why does monitoring suck?
- Lusis recently you wrote a status update
- What's gotten better? what's coming?
- Presence-based Discovery
- Self-service & culture
- application health by default
- What about crazy math stuff by moving averages and reservoir sampling (Coda Hale)? Coda Hale's Metrics library
- The monitoringsucks github repo
- Jim Hopp runs his integration tests along w/ regular chef runs, does that blur the line b/w monitoring and testing? should we use testing for monitoring?
- What are u using for monitoring your infrastructure right now?
- What are you excited about in this space?
- What are the biggest challenges to making monitoring suck less?
- What do you think of Boundary's monitoring service? Is it monitoring so hard a problem so we should just use Boundary instead?
- Are there security risks in a self-service monitoring environment?
- continuous integration with puppet
- the all-American roadtrip
We are looking for guests for a Windows + chef show. If you are interested to talk about this, let us know.
Please take the time to rate us on itunes and to send your cookbook news to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow @foodfightshow on twitter.
Also, you can submit show ideas to our github repo
Until next time, Keep it Hot!