Welcome to the Food Fight Show!
I'm Bryan Berry @bryanwb on twitter
and I'm Nathen Harvey @nathenharvey on twitter.
While you're on Twitter updating you followers, be sure to follow @foodfightshow!
We've got a great show for you today talking about #monitoringsucks with @lusis and @patrickdebois.
Before we get to the show, let's jump in to "What's Cookin'" your source for all the latest Chef news and Cookbook updates!
In the News
Data center pros push systems automation limits with Chef - SearchDataCenter that talks about both Edmunds.com and Ancestry.com. Edmunds made the jump to Chef after realizing the potential for disaster recovery and Ancestry for continuous deployment.
Opscode Roadtrip! Opscode is on the road this summer! If you plan on attending any of the following events, stop by the Opscode booth and get answers to your automation questions.
- Google I/O
- DevOps Days Mountain View
- HPC on Wall St.
New to Chef? Just getting started? Check out the New One Day Introduction to Chef Workshops from Opscode. Opscode will be offering this class in Santa Clara, New York, Boston, Washington D.C., Seattle, and San Francisco
Attending Velocity? Check-out the special Chef Full Day Workshop on Thursday, June 28.
DevOps Prisoner's Dilemma - Does development "rat out" operations?
- A zesty Chef server API wrapper that lets you easily integrate your apps with a Chef server. Spice provides support for the Chef API and has recently undergone a complete rewrite!
- Returned results are now full interactive objects and not just hashes. Create, update, and destroy resources with an ORM-like interface.
- Note: this version of Spice is a major version bump, which means it is not backwards-compatible with previous versions.
minitest-handler v0.0.10 - btm
- Support for Ubuntu 12.04, aka Precise Pangolin support
easyapache v0.0.3 - bobloblaw
- Chef cookbook for orchestration of easyapache upgrades for cPanel
smbfs v0.2.0 - peter_donald
- Installs/Configures smbfs and adds mount points according to data driven pattern
More Cookbook Updates
Here's a list of other cookbooks that were updated recently:
- simple_iptables v0.1.1 - dcrosta
- bonita v0.1.1 - peter_donald
- zabbix v0.0.32 - laradji
- discovery v0.1.6 - fujin
- rsdns v0.0.4 - evan4498
- generic-users v0.1.4 - mpasternacki
- annoyances v0.0.2 - mray
- graphite_handler v0.0.3 - peter_donald
- nfs v0.2.4 - atomic-penguin
- logstash v0.2.0 - lusis
- cerberus v0.2.0 - cixelsyd
- artifact v0.9.8 - reset
- tmpreaper v0.1.2 - sethvargo
- locale v0.0.2 - dje
Now with TravisCI & Foodcritic...
Bryan, have you noticed the recent trend with adding TravisCI build status widgets to a cookbook's README? Most of them are using TravisCI to run Foodcritic tests. About 30% of the cookbooks we've mentioned today have TravisCI integration. I think you recently set this up for the minitest-handler cookbook. How difficult was it?
Do you have cookbook news that you'd like to share or feedback on the show? Please drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Great show today talking about monitoring with Patrick Debois, Jon Vincent, and Matt Ray. Let's get to the show!