Browse your coverart albums in Rhythmbox v2.96 and later
Summary: whats new in this release
- Tracks & Covers pane - display tracks for the selected album and built-in coverart web-search
- Drag & Drop coverart update support
- Display Album & Artist name under the cover
- Support for assigning track-rating and playing/queuing your favourite rated tracks
- Multiple album selection
- Double click playing of albums
- Sort covers by album name and artist, both in ascending and descending order
- Set the coverart size displayed in the main view
- Multiple user-configurable options to tailor what you see and use.
- Examine and change properties for an Album
- Examine and change properties for a track
- Optionally start in coverart view when rhythmbox starts
How it works:
- Click the new CoverArt source button (left hand side of screen)
- Albums are displayed as clickable buttons containing their album cover
- Right click menu option to play, queue & search for coverart for an album.
- multi-select albums to play, queue, search for covers and edit properties
- Right click to see and edit the properties for an album:
hint - Select multiple albums - change both the album name and album artist and all the tracks for the selected albums will be combined under one album.
- locale support has been added to display text in your native language.
HELP WANTED - We need your help to translate - please help out! (see below)
- Filter your albums
- Right click to search for missing covers
- Display tracks for an album
- Find additional coverart
Either double-click the picture or drag-and-drop to update the coverart for the selected album
Tailor the search for album covers:
The cover-view accept images dropped from nautilus (for example) or URLs from the web.
- Rate tracks and play your favourite tracks from albums
Rate your tracks:
Then use the Rate Threshold...
... to enable you to play your favourite tracks from an album:
- Define your own preferences
- Display the name and artist for covers
- both 32bit & 64bit support available
- icon-tooltip shows all the track artists for multi-artist albums
- automatic album focus when right-click an album to display album choices.
- ... and a number of bug-fixes as well.
How to install:
- install git
N.B. for debian based distros -
sudo apt-get install git
- install the package gettext
N.B. for debian based distros -
sudo apt-get install gettext
rm -rf ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/plugins/coverart_browser git clone https://github.com/fossfreedom/coverart-browser.git cd coverart-browser sh ./install.sh
For Ubuntu 12.04 & 12.10:
This is now available in my rhythmbox PPA - installation instructions in this AskUbuntu Q&A:
For Ubuntu 12.04 users that have upgraded to Rhythmbox v2.98 using the webupd8 PPA, this version of rhythmbox crashes when used with python plugins such as coverart-browser and replaygain.
It is strongly recommended that you either upgrade to 12.10 where v2.98 works great, or downgrade to v2.96 or v2.97 as per:
You can use this plugin with v2.98 but you'll need to change the file coverart_album.py and comment out the following lines (i.e. add a # as shown)
#self.entry_changed_id = self.db.connect('entry-changed', # self._entry_changed_callback)
If you do this, rhythmbox does not crash - however, if you change and album or track details via the properties option in the music pane, these changes are not updated in the plugin until you restart rhythmbox.
Please help out with translating
We need you to help us translate the english text to your native language.
Don't worry - it is easier that you think.
Instructions are in the file TRANSLATE_README. Post a link to the file as a new issue, or if you are feeling generous - fork and push a pull-request. Thanks!
If they look scary - just email me (foss dot freedom at gmail dot com) and I'll send you the file that needs to be translated - it is less than 20 text strings so it should only take a few minutes.
When emailing - tell me your locale & language. You can find these by typing:
echo $LANG echo $LANGUAGE
- thanks to Luqman Aden email@example.com for the coverart-search plugin which our cover-search pane is based upon
- our Translators: jrbastien (fr_CA), asermax (es), mateuswetah (pt_BR), jrbastien & lannic (fr.po)
GTK3 port of code.google.com/p/rhythmbox-cover-art-browser