Browse your coverart albums in Rhythmbox v2.96 and later
Please help out with translating - skip to the end for details
Summary: whats new in this release
- find & display embedded covers in MP3, M4A, FLAC & Ogg files
- Optional coverart search from Discogs internet service
- new filter by decade
- configurable shadow effect behind cover display
- Iconised filter & sort buttons that change icon depending upon option chosen
- popup menu selection for filters
- brand new icons designed explicitly to the coverart browser plugin
- one click open and close track view for a cover
- plugin translated into many more languages
- plugin code refactored - much faster to start and display without any flashing effects
- code has been completely documented using doxygen: http://fossfreedom.github.com/coverart-browser/classes.html
- covers displayed using rhythmbox natural sort i.e. ascending numbers
- search filter matches upper & lower-case as well as ignoring characters such as accents
- display covers for play-queue/music library & playlists from within the coverart-view
- column header sort in track view
- revamped plugin preferences
How it works:
- Click the new CoverArt source button (left hand side of screen)
- Albums are displayed as clickable buttons containing their album cover
Right click menu option to play, queue & search for coverart for an album.
How to install:
for debian & debian-based distros such as Ubuntu & Mint
sudo apt-get install git gettext python-mako python-mutagen python-requests python-lxml
for fedora and similar:
yum install git gettext python-mako python-mutagen python-requests python-lxml
Then install the plugin:
rm -rf ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/plugins/coverart_browser git clone https://github.com/fossfreedom/coverart-browser.git cd coverart-browser sh ./install.sh
For Ubuntu 12.04 & 12.10:
This is now available in my rhythmbox PPA - installation instructions in this AskUbuntu Q&A:
For Ubuntu 12.04 users that have upgraded to Rhythmbox v2.98 using the webupd8 PPA, this version of rhythmbox crashes when used with python plugins such as coverart-browser and replaygain.
It is strongly recommended that you either upgrade to 12.10 where v2.98 works great, or downgrade to v2.96 or v2.97 as per:
installation for embedded coverart
The plugin makes use of the package
python-mutagen. For most distros, the default package is v1.20 which was released in 2010.
Since then, lots of bug fixes have been resolved. If you know that there is coverart embedded, but is not displayed in our plugin, then you should install the very latest package:
hg clone https://code.google.com/p/mutagen/
Then following the instructions in the README (slightly modified)
./setup.py build sudo su ./setup.py install
Please help out with translating
We need you to help us translate the english text to your native language.
Don't worry - it is easier that you think.
Remember to set your preferred language and then just submit your translation.
Instructions are in the file TRANSLATE_README. Post a link to the file as a new issue, or if you are feeling generous - fork and push a pull-request. Thanks!
If they look scary - just email me (foss dot freedom at gmail dot com) and I'll send you the file that needs to be translated - it is less than 20 text strings so it should only take a few minutes.
When emailing - tell me your locale & language. You can find these by typing:
echo $LANG echo $LANGUAGE
- thanks to Luqman Aden firstname.lastname@example.org for the coverart-search plugin which our cover-search pane is based upon
- thanks to Canonical for the Star widget which the ratings capabilities use
- our Translators: Launchpad Translation team, jrbastien (fr_CA), asermax (es), mateuswetah (pt_BR), jrbastien & lannic (fr.po)
Button Icons - jrbastien for the new iconset
This plugin code is released under the GPL3+ license.
All translations are released under the BSD license
Music Genre Icons by Meghn Lofing is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Contrast of the iconset has been altered as agreed by the author. Thanks Meghn!
GTK3 port of code.google.com/p/rhythmbox-cover-art-browser