Browse your coverart albums in Rhythmbox v2.96 - Rhythmbox v2.98*
(for rhythmbox 2.99 please look at the Notes section below - we need help testing support for RB2.99)
Summary: whats new in this release
- Export whole albums and embed coverart in the album tracks so that (where required) phones/tablets can display coverart correctly
- Drag & Drop CoverArt icons onto playlists and sources (such as a phone) so that all tracks for an album are added
note - remember to use the Portable Players - Ipod and/or Portable Players - MTP plugin if your phone requires these to sync music
- separated coverart search into separate plugin (this is now a prerequisite) - https://github.com/fossfreedom/coverart-search-providers
- New light & dark theme buttons to complement light & dark desktop themes
- optional flat-button toolbar style
- revised popup menu style genre & playlist windows when number of entries would exceed the desktop height
- Use album and album-artist sort order tags for sorting if these values are utilised
- Play from Cover-view and Track view instead of queuing & playing
- Allow user-defined genre names to be created mapped against default system genre icons
- Allow user-defined genre icons to be displayed. These can override system genre icons if required
Support for other plugins via right-click menu options in a similar manner as the Library Browser -
OpenContainingFolder, SendFirst, Send Track, LastFMExtension - Fingerprinter, FileOrganizer, lLyrics, WikipediaSearch
N.B. if NOT using my PPA then ensure you have the very latest version of the plugins installed.
for developers - doxygen documentation: http://fossfreedom.github.io/coverart-browser/classes.html
How it works:
- Click the new CoverArt source button (left hand side of screen)
- Albums are displayed as clickable buttons containing their album cover
Right click menu option to play, queue & search for coverart for an album.
How to install:
for debian & debian-based distros such as Ubuntu & Mint
sudo apt-get install git gettext python-mako python-lxml
for fedora and similar:
yum install git gettext python-mako python-lxml
sudo zypper in git gettext-runtime python-mako python-lxml typelib-1_0-WebKit-3_0
NOTE - for opensuse 12.3 please do NOT install typelib-1_0-WebKit-3_0. You also need to make the following code change to enable the plugin to work:
Then install the plugin:
rm -rf ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/plugins/coverart_browser git clone https://github.com/fossfreedom/coverart-browser.git cd coverart-browser sh ./install.sh
Note 1 - the CoverArt Browser plugin also requires installing the following plugin:
*Note 2 - Due to upstream changes v0.8 of this plugin does NOT work with rhythmbox 2.99.
However, we have made fairly extensive changes in the master (testing) branch. We would love RB2.99 users to test this out and give us feedback. Thanks.
For Ubuntu 12.04 & 12.10:
V0.8 is now available in my rhythmbox PPA - installation instructions in this AskUbuntu Q&A:
Note - installing the package
rhythmbox-plugin-coverart-browser will also install
Please help out with translating
We need you to help us translate the english text to your native language.
Don't worry - it is easier that you think. Just visit:
Remember to set your preferred language and then just submit your translation.
- thanks to Luqman Aden firstname.lastname@example.org for the coverart-search plugin which our cover-search pane is based upon
- thanks to Canonical for the Star widget which the ratings capabilities use
- our Translators: Launchpad Translation team - individual credits for each locale is shown in the plugin preferences dialog
- Button Icons - jrbastien for the three toolbar icon-sets (standard, light & dark)
Chief Tester and all-round good egg - jrbastien!
This plugin code is released under the GPL3+ license.
All translations are released under the BSD license
Music Genre Icons by Meghn Lofing is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Contrast of the iconset has been altered as agreed by the author. Thanks Meghn!
GTK3 port of code.google.com/p/rhythmbox-cover-art-browser