rhythmbox v2.96 and later plugin to display the coverart and control rhythmbox from your desktop
... and on mouse-over...
- Basics do work - see To Do list below
- Mouse focus control to be restricted to cover i.e. lines 276-284 commented out needs to be GTK3 converted. Patches welcome!
sudo apt-get install gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-rsvg-2.0 git clone https://fossfreedom/desktop-art.git cd desktop-art
for Rhythmbox 2.96 - 2.99:
for Rhythmbox 3.0 and later:
N.B. use the equivalent package names
gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-rsvg-2.0 for your distro
Enable the plugin in rhythmbox
- code cleanup - remove various gnome2 bits such as the path
- GConf needs to be converted to GSettings
- is the rsvg module really needed? Need to investigate further and if necessary strip the rsvg code elemnents from the source.
- Investigate the 1 second polling method to update the cover. Inefficient - possible use the standard playing-changed event to upate.
Preferences Dialog - two or more increments to the x, y, w or h values causes a segmentation fault.
Bug #1028115 in pygobject
To have full functionality, this bug needs to be fixed in the pygobject-Packages: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pygobject/+bug/1028115
You can find scripts for Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 to patch the packages. If you're running Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 AMD64, you can download the resulting binaries as .deb packages.