Suspenders is a base Rails application that you can upgrade.
First install the suspenders gem:
gem install suspenders
suspenders create projectname
This will create a Rails 3.1 app in `projectname'. This script creates a new new git repository. It is not meant to be used against an existing repo.
Suspenders uses Trout to make it easier to maintain a base version of special files like Gemfile and Procfile in Suspenders.
Whenever you want to get the latest and greatest Suspenders' Gemfile, run:
trout update Gemfile
To see the latest and greatest gems, look at Suspenders' template/trout/Gemfile, which will be copied into your projectname/Gemfile.
It includes application gems like:
- Paperclip for file uploads
- Formtastic for better forms
- Hoptoad Notifier for exception notification
- Flutie for default CSS styles
- Bourbon for classy sass mixins
- Clearance for authentication
And testing gems like:
- RSpec for awesome, readable isolation testing
- Factory Girl for easier creation of test data
- Shoulda Matchers for frequently needed Rails and RSpec matchers
- Timecop for dealing with time
- Bourne and Mocha for stubbing and spying
Suspenders also comes with:
- Rails' flashes set up and in application layout.
- A few nice time formats.
See template/files to see what is generated one-time.
Some gems included in Suspenders have native extensions. You should have GCC installed on your machine before running Suspenders.
If you're running OS X, we recommend the GCC OSX installer.
Instructions for installing QT on most systems are available here.
If you have problems, please create a Github issue.
Please see CONTRIBUTING.md for details.
Suspenders is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc
The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.
Suspenders is Copyright © 2008-2011 thoughtbot. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.