CBERS on AWS
This repository describes the organization of China-Brazil Earth Resources Satellite (CBERS) data available on AWS and provide additional data and tools for its use.
Information about the CBERS program is available from INPE's site http://www.cbers.inpe.br/ (in Portuguese).
Accessing CBERS data on AWS
Entry in Open Data on AWS (RODA) is https://registry.opendata.aws/cbers/. Please check this link for updated resources such as project's mailing list, SNS topics, STAC metadata service, etc.
The AWS repository contains the complete archive of CBERS-4 MUX, AWFI, PAN5 and PAN10 scenes.
The images are pulled daily from INPE's catalog at http://www.dgi.inpe.br/catalogo/ and are converted to Cloud Optimized Geotiff format.
The data is organized in two s3 buckets, both located in the us-east-1 region.
Scenes are organized using a directory structure based on each scene’s path, row and acquisition date. For instance, the files for CBERS-4 MUX scene CBERS_4_MUX_20160518_163_128_L4 are available in the following location:
The naming convention used for the files is
CAM: camera identification: MUX, AWFI, PAN10M or PAN5M.
YYYYMMDD: acquisition date.
PPP: path, see more information on reference grid below.
RRR: row, see more information on reference grid below.
L: processing level:
- 2: system corrected image, expect some translation error.
- 4: orthorectified with ground control points.
B: band number
tif|xml: tif for Geotiff files, xml for metadata files.
cbers-pds is a Requester Pays bucket, which means that you can access it freely within the us-east region, but you will incur charges if you download it from elsewhere.
The data is organized using a directory structure identical to the one shown above, the difference is that this bucket stores only quicklooks for each scene. Each directory contains a large and a small quicklook, for instance:
- Large quicklook:
- Small quicklook:
This bucket also provides manifest files describing all scenes at its root level, in gzipped and plain format:
- MUX camera
- s3://cbers-meta-pds/MUXscene_list.csv.gz or https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbers-meta-pds/MUXscene_list.csv.gz
- s3://cbers-meta-pds/MUXscene_list.csv or https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbers-meta-pds/MUXscene_list.csv
- AWFI camera
- s3://cbers-meta-pds/AWFIscene_list.csv.gz or https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbers-meta-pds/AWFIscene_list.csv.gz
- s3://cbers-meta-pds/AWFIscene_list.csv or https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbers-meta-pds/AWFIscene_list.csv
- PAN10M camera
- s3://cbers-meta-pds/PAN10Mscene_list.csv.gz or https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbers-meta-pds/PAN10Mscene_list.csv.gz
- s3://cbers-meta-pds/PAN10Mscene_list.csv or https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbers-meta-pds/PAN10Mscene_list.csv
- PAN5M camera
- s3://cbers-meta-pds/PAN5Mscene_list.csv.gz or https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbers-meta-pds/PAN5Mscene_list.csv.gz
- s3://cbers-meta-pds/PAN5Mscene_list.csv or https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbers-meta-pds/PAN5Mscene_list.csv
The plain csv file does not include a first line with the column ids.
SNS Topics for available quicklooks
SNS messages are sent to topics when a new quicklook is available in the cbers-pds bucket. The quicklook generation is the last step in the ingestion procedure.
The SNS topics are:
- arn:aws:sns:us-east-1:769537946825:NewCB4MUXQuicklook for MUX quicklooks
- arn:aws:sns:us-east-1:769537946825:NewCB4AWFIQuicklook for AWFI quicklooks
- arn:aws:sns:us-east-1:769537946825:NewCB4PAN10MQuicklook for PAN10M quicklooks
- arn:aws:sns:us-east-1:769537946825:NewCB4PAN5MQuicklook for PAN5M quicklooks
STAC item topics and catalog
A STAC metadata record is generated as soon as a new scene is ingested and its content is published to a SNS topic. Please check the topic ARNs and API endpoints to access the catalog in the RODA link