Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
This wiki documents the software and formats that we use within FreeDict. It serves as an entrance point for new starters as well as for developers, which organize priorities and tasks.
Top priorities for the project are:
- work on tightening the dictionary schemas,
- making the databases fully machine-readable,
- aligning the content of grammatical descriptions against a reference ontology.
- update the web site
Regarding the usage of dictionaries, the following is planned:
- support more output formats (we always want this)
- provide a more helpful web interface for dictionary lookup
- create a Windows installer to bundle a dictionary program with dictionaries
Development And Contributions
Below is a list of resources which help to understand the internals of the
FreeDict project. If you want to contribute and
are unsure what to do, please ask on the
Freedict mailing list or visit us in
#freedict in the OFTC IRC network (
irc.oftc.net) or try the web chat.
If you don't have a technical background, please don't hesitate to contact us,
you can be certainly of great help to our project. If you however are a skilled
programmer, we definitely are in need for your skills.
- FreeDict HOWTO - a bottom-up guide to learn about FreeDict and its technology
- Freedict Mailing List – any questions should go there
- the import centre, a place to document programs and scripts which we use to import dictionaries
- The downloads page
- Publications and presentations concerning the project
- Adopt a dictionary – a community programme for those who care about neglected dictionaries!
- To Do list
Where else to go
- The FreeDict homepage, http://www.freedict.org/
- The GitHub page https://github.com/freedict
- The Debian package site with a list of all available FreeDict dictionaries in Debian, and in fact in Ubuntu as well: https://packages.debian.org/source/freedict
- a list of Dictionary Software
- The DICT wiki
- The TEI Guidelines
Please bear in mind that our home page is located at freedict.org. We have no affiliation with sites represented by addresses with other suffixes. Some of them are meant to make a buck by luring people and showing them a lot of advertisements, but this is not our doing, this is just the nature of some humans.