Hacker News mobile web app
Note: If you think this README is lame, try this awesome landing page.
This is one of my silly mini-projects. I create this initially to try out iOS 5 Mobile Safari's new
-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch CSS support. I need some sort of content for scrolling, so why not Hacker News' stories? I'm also trying something called Fake it 'til you make it which I make the web app looks (and feels) like a native mobile app. In this case, like a native iOS app.
As I continue developing this app, it turns out pretty good. Currently it has very basic features:
- View 'front page' stories from Hacker News.
- View individual story with all its comments, threaded.
Here are some screenshots. Click to see them in their full retina glory.
This mobile web app primarily works on iOS 5 Mobile Safari. It uses these wonderful scripts:
- Tappable - touch-friendly tap events
- Director - location.hash router
- Hogan.js - logic-less templating
- Amplify.Store - client-side storage
- Viper - simple animation
How to run this locally
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:cheeaun/hnmobile.git cd hnmobile node server.js -noappcache
-noappcache argument is to prevent browsers from caching everything in the Application Cache. Also optionally, use supervisor to make your life better:
npm install supervisor -g supervisor -- server.js -noappcache
Whenever there are changes in the
/js folder, run
node make-scripts.js to regenerate
Contributing and Feedback
Feel free to fork, file some issues or tweet your feedback to me.
Licensed under the MIT License.
Other similar mobile apps
This is the not the first app to introduce a mobile-friendly version of Hacker News. Others have tried doing the same thing, despite some slight differences.
- http://ihackernews.com/ by Ronnie Roller
- http://hn.gethifi.com/ by Joel Sutherland and Kris Jordan
- http://www.icombinator.net/ by Benny Wong
- http://smus.com/x/hackernews/ by Boris Smus
- http://michaelgrinich.com/hackernews/ by Michael Grinich
- http://newsyc.me/ by Grant Paul
- http://www.hnreaderapp.com/ by Ryan Scherf and Steve Finkelstein