IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the master branch of freenas, which is used only for the creation and testing of 9.3-Nightlies builds. If you are building or developing for:
- FreeNAS 10: https://github.com/freenas/freenas-build
- 9.3-STABLE: Use the 9.3.1-STABLE branch
To build the system (experts only):
Your build environment must be FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE (building on FreeBSD 10 or 11 is not supported at this time).
an amd64 capable processor. 8GB of memory, or an equal/greater amount of swap space, is also required
You will need the following ports/packages when compiling anything FreeNAS-related:
- lang/python (2.7 or later, with THREADS support)
- py27-sphinxcontrib-httpdomain-1.2.1 (and all the dependencies that these ports/pkgs install, of course)
Building the System Quickstart Flow:
- Checking out the code from git:
% cd /path/to/your-build-filesystem % git clone git://github.com/freenas/freenas.git % cd freenas
- Build it
% make checkout % make release
- Update the source tree, to pull in new source code changes
% make update
This will also fetch TrueOS and ports for the build from github.
The End Result:
If your build completes successfully, you'll have 64 bit release products in the release_stage directory. You will also have a tarball in your build directory containing the entire release for easy transport.