FrenchKit Code Of Conduct
In our opinion, defining a conference as pro-respect and tolerance in a Code of Conduct is intrinsically harmful. It legitimates the fact that it could be possible for a technology-focused event to oppose such values. Inclusivity is not an opinion: it is a universal and obvious principle.
FrenchKit Code of Conduct
We shall not need Codes of Conduct. And this is not just due to the fact that developers, our audience, should have already understood the principles of a good and inclusive behaviour but also because, in France, any kind of harassment or discrimination is actually "forbidden and punished in all situations" (https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F19448, https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F322471).
However if, for the sake of ethics, we need to stand against what we do not appreciate or tolerate, here is our own code:
- Be respectful of everyone
- Understand that resources you will find at the events are meant for sharing, and not for your sole consumption. That includes drinks, food, seats and common spaces
- Be respectful of speakers' work. Preparing a talk demands effort, and they do not deserve puns, ringing phones, chatting, sleeping or any behaviour that may cause nuisances to their presentation. Please be supportive.
- Do not give your opinion about something you do not know
- Make constructive feedback
- Understand that staff is not there to serve you but, rather, to help you
- If you ever cannot make it to the conference, let others know or resell your ticket, so to allow others to participate
- And, ultimately, be quelqu'un.e de bien
Get in Touch
If you believe you are being harassed, discriminated against or notice someone else that is, or have any other concern, feel free to contact the FrenchKit organizers at any moment or to write at email@example.com
What is defined as harassment or unwanted/undesired behavior?
Any distinction or unequal treatment based on:
- Geographical origin, family name, place of residence
- Belonging or non-belonging, real or imagined, to an ethnic group or a nation
- Spoken language
- Gender or gender identity
- Family status, pregnancy or maternity
- Sexual orientation or morals
- Physical appearance
- State of health, disability, loss of autonomy
- Genetic characteristics
- Religion, political beliefs or trade union activities
- Precarious economic situation
Whom do I contact in case I am being harassed or am subject to this unwanted/undesired behavior?
Please contact the organizers. Each organizer will wear a specific t-shirt.
What will that organizer do? How are organizers trained to deal with harassment incidents?
The organizers are aware of the code of conduct. If an inappropriate behaviour is brought to us and confirmed, we will ask to the harasser to leave the conference. If he/she/they do not follow our instructions, we may call the police.
Will they contact the law enforcement or police? Should I contact the police directly?
Please contact the police directly only in case of physical emergency, as usual. Please get in touch with an organizer as soon as possible if any unwanted/undesired behavior occurs.
What do I do if I notice someone else being harassed?
Report it immediately to an organizer.
Who is subject to the respect of the Code of Conduct?
Everyone: sponsors, speakers, organisers and contractors.
The Conference Code of Conduct for FrenchKit 2019 is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
1 Verified on 2020-09-03.