Spotify to MP3
A simple command line utility to download MP3 files of Spotify tracks. Note those files are downloaded from Grooveshark, not from Spotify itself.
Grooveshark, the service this app was relying on, has shut down. Don't expect it to work anymore :(
Mac OS X
$ sudo gem install spotify-to-mp3
sudo can be ommited if using rvm or similar.
Make sure you have rubygems installed and configured:
$ sudo apt-get install ruby2.0 ruby2.0-dev $ echo 'PATH=$PATH:/var/lib/gems/1.9/bin' | sudo tee /etc/profile.d/rubygems1.9.sh >/dev/null
$ sudo gem2.0 install spotify-to-mp3
Create a file (like
songs.txt) and copy the Spotify songs URLs to it. Plain song names are also accepted. It will look like this:
http://open.spotify.com/track/1JqTcOjOn7gEpeC0JcRVPa spotify:track:1fE3ddAlmjJ99IIfLgZjTy The Drums - Money
Download songs. They are saved to the current directory. Errors will appear in red (like when a song is not found).
$ spotify-to-mp3 songs.txt
Also, as it's common in Unix programs, you can pipe in the songs:
$ echo white knuckle ride | spotify-to-mp3
and drag the songs from the Spotify app to the terminal.
- Accept album URI's
- Download progress bar
A big thanks to @dulakm for such great contributions!
- Accept track IDs from stdin
- Set filename artist and title from Grooveshark
- Touch already downloaded songs. This way songs no more in the download list can be spotted easily.
- Make it work on ruby 1.8.7 (Snow Leopard)
- Both Spotify URLs and plain song names are accepted
$ gem install bundler $ bundle $ bundle exec spotify-to-mp3 $ bundle exec rspec
Bump version in spotify-to-mp3.gemspec
$ gem build spotify-to-mp3.gemspec $ gem push spotify-to-mp3-[version].gem
- Consider multiple artists songs
- Filter Grooveshark results by artist, title and length
- Accept tracks from stdin (instead of from a file, to drag songs directly to the app)
- Exit with a single Ctrl+C
- Cleaner output
- Don't pick remixes