In package.json, the version of jquery has been bumped to 3.0.0, in response to an automated vulnerability check, but not tested. The code is not live. Caveat emptor.
- NodeJS -- The runtime the application requires
- Heroku Toolbelt -- Used for interacting with the production/testing instances
- Java Development Kit -- Used for testing.
- Install Origami build tools
Setting up development environment
- Clone the repository --
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:ftlabs/big-ft.git
- Change in repository directory --
- Install the dependencies --
- Build the files used by the web client --
npm run build
- Spin up the web server --
- Open the website in your browser of choice --
open "localhost:3000"-- it will default to port 3000
When developing you may want to have the server restart and client files rebuilt on any code changes. This can be done with the
develop npm script --
npm run develop.
Selenium is used for integration testing. In order to get Selenium running you will need to install the Java Development Kit.
- Install Code-Climate's Test Reporter --
npm install -g codeclimate-test-reporter
- Run the tests for the project --
- Upload the coverage file to Code-Climate --
CODECLIMATE_REPO_TOKEN=[your token] codeclimate-test-reporter < coverage/lcov.info
To experience the big view glory:
To display a specific timezone:
To display the US home page:
To include recent articles about a specific organisation whih may not ordinarily make it to the front page
To configure the big view glory to display articles about Amazon:
To configure the big view glory to display only the first top-story in the primary section:
To customise everything in the big view glory which is customisable:
To switch to the simplistic black and white version
For our partners, we can display a vanity URL in the corner of Big FT. To display the vanity url, pass the partners name (as listed here ) a query parameter to the Big FT service. For example
http://big.ft.com/?partner=labs will display the URL
labs.ft.com in the bottom right corner. If the value passed does not relate to one of our partners,
www.ft.com will display instead.