Back in the good old days of the Renaissance, apprenticeships were quite common and acted as legal contracts between the apprentice and master. This was a way for apprentices to start learning the necessary skills in their field and eventually become masters themselves.
Even though the formal university route became more popular over time, there has been a noteworthy trend in the software industry where the idea of an intensive period of training with masters (e.g. coding bootcamps) has started to become a popular option once again.
So, without further ado, here's a list of developer & design apprenticeship opportunities (65+ and counting)!
Note that most of these companies don't always have applications to their apprenticeship programs open - it's usually seasonal.
- 8th Light | Chicago, IL; Brooklyn, NY; Los Angeles, CA | 8th Light is a software consultancy that is passionate about crafting beautiful and durable software products.
- A100 | New Haven, CT | A100 is a software apprenticeship program that provides technical training to aspiring software developers, then matches them with paid internships at local startups.
- Ada Developers Academy | Seattle, WA | Ada Developers Academy is a training program for women and gender diverse people who want to become software developers.
- Adobe Digital Academy | San Francisco, CA; Salt Lake City, UT | Adobe Digital Academy offers nontraditional candidates the education and, contingent upon technical performance, the experience they need to launch successful careers in web development.
- Apprentice Brigade | Santa Cruz, CA | Apprentice Brigade operates a registered technology apprenticeship program covering IT and software development, curating quality talent on the Central Coast of California.
- Atomic | Grand Rapids, MI; Ann Arbor, MI | Atomic Accelerator is a professional development program for recent computer science grads.
- Apprenti | Seattle, WA; Detroit, MI; Bend, OR; Eugene, OR; Columbus, OH; Herndon, VA | Apprenti provides a proven, reliable pipeline for underrepresented groups such as minorities, women, and veterans to gain training, certification, and placement within the talent-hungry tech industry.
- Clique Studios | Chicago, IL | Clique Studios is a design and engineering agency whose program trains apprentices with the skills necessary to get a role as a junior full-stack engineer at a small company or agency.
- CoverMyMeds | Columbus, OH | CoverMyMeds is a healthcare software company that enables providers, pharmacists and their staff to fill out prior authorization (PA) requests electronically.
- Detroit Labs | Detroit, MI | The Detroit Labs Apprenticeship Program is a three-month immersive training experience in software development, mobile development, and quality assurance engineering.
- DevMynd | Chicago, IL; San Francisco, CA | DevMynd is a software development and user experience consultancy with a passion for crafting quality solutions.
- Dropbox IGNITE | San Francisco, CA | Dropbox IGNITE is an apprenticeship program geared towards professionals with non-traditional software engineering backgrounds who are looking to start or re-start their professional career.
- Fresh Tilled Soil | Watertown, MA | Fresh Tilled Soil's apprentices are taught UX fundamentals and given a chance to specialize in one of three areas: UI design, front-end development, or strategy.
- Gaslight | Cincinnati, Ohio | Gaslight's DevBuilders apprentice program is designed to match client companies looking to build a development team with enthusiastic, high aptitude beginning developers.
- GitHub Octoprenticeships | Remote | Octoprenticeships are six-month career development programs for people with non-traditional technical backgrounds from underrepresented groups in tech.
- Greater Sum | Atlanta, GA | Greater Sumer is a software consultancy whose program accepts individuals with a wide range of experience.
- HashRocket | Chicago, IL; Jacksonville Beach, FL | The Hashrocket apprenticeship is a six–month salaried program designed to take candidates with some professional software development experience and turn them into software consultants.
- IFTTT | San Francisco, CA | If This Then That, also known as IFTTT, is a free web-based service to connect all your apps and devices into one "applet".
- Intrepid Pursuits | Cambridge, MA; New York, NY | Intrepid’s Apprentice Program is an immersive, full-time 12-week training program that spans several disciplines: Project Management, Experience Design, iOS, Android and Web development.
- Intuit | San Diego, CA | Intuit's Apprenticeship program was launched to help diversify talent and create a pathway for those with untraditional backgrounds.
- IQ Foundry | Madison, WI | IQ Foundry is a marketing agency that designs and develops digital media including custom apps and feature-rich websites.
- LaunchCode | St. Louis, Missouri | LaunchCode is a non-profit organization that works with hundreds of companies to set up paid apprenticeships in technology for talented people who lack traditional credentials.
- LEAP | Redmond, WA | LEAP Engineering Acceleration Program (LEAP) is an immersive, 16-week program providing real-world experience through development and project management for individuals with non-traditional backgrounds or are returning to the workforce.
- LinkedIn Reach | Sunnyvale, CA | REACH is a multi-year, rotational program where individuals with non-traditional backgrounds rotate through various levels of technical roles at the company.
- MAXX Potential | Richmond, VA | MAXX Potential is a technology consulting firm that focuses on finding a growing tech talent.
- Moove-it | Austin, TX | Moove-it is a software consultancy whose program comprises extensive hands-on activities led by a Moove-it developer.
- Pillar Technology | Ann Arbor, MI | Pillar is a technology consulting whose apprenticeship program is designed to create high-performing consultants and leaders for Pillar.
- Pinterest | San Francisco, CA | Pinterest's apprentice program focuses on hiring engineers from non-traditional backgrounds who are comfortable with basic programming principles.
- Praxis | Austin, TX; Atlanta, GA; Phoenix, AZ; Charleston, SC; Pittsburgh, PA; Chicago, IL; Salt Lake City, UT | Praxis is an intensive 12-month apprenticeship program for those who are entrepreneurial young people that want real-world career experience and a rigorous, self-directed educational experience.
- RoleModel | Holly Springs, NC | The RoleModel program is a year-long apprenticeship designed to turn bootcamp and college grads into solid developers.
- Social Tables | Washington, DC | Social Tables is a global SaaS company offering a 3-month paid program targeting new developers without on the job work experience with the potential of a full-time offer to join the engineering team.
- Sparkbox | Dayton, OH | Sparkbox is a web design and development firm with a focus on creating web experiences that embody response web design principles.
- Stack Overflow | New York, NY | Stack Overflow's Web Developer Apprentice is an 11-week apprenticeship program where you'll work directly alongside a developer mentor on a real product team. Rather than doing independent "intern" projects that may not ever ship, as an apprentice you'll work with your mentor to learn, review, debug, and ship features to real users. You'll also work collaboratively with other members of the team, including other developers, designers, and product managers.
- Spotify | New York, NY | The Spotify NYC Technology Fellowship is aimed at helping engineers just starting their careers in tech and provides an opportunity to work within a team and build upon current skills.
- Table XI | Chicago, IL | Table XI is a digital design and development consulting firm that uses software consulting to power positive change.
- Techtonica | San Francisco, CA | Techtonica offers six-month tech apprenticeships with living stipends and laptops to women and non-binary adults with low incomes, then place graduates with sponsor companies for at least three months of full-time work.
- Thoughtbot | Austin, TX; Boston, MA; New York, NY; Raleigh, NC; San Francisco, CA | Thoughtbot offers a 3-12 month apprenticeship for product designers or software engineers to be trained by mentors in order to become permanent employees at the organization by the end of the apprenticeship.
- Twilio Hatch | San Francisco, CA | The apprenticeship, known as Hatch, is a six-month program which aims to equip individuals having non-traditional technical backgrounds with industry experience in designing, developing, and delivering production-ready software systems.
- Upstatement | Boston, MA | During Upstatement's 6-month program you’ll collaborate with creative directors, designers, and technologists to provide support across multiple project teams as you build the experience needed to take on increasingly challenging assignments.
- Viget | Washington, DC; Durham, NC; Boulder, CO | The Viget apprenticeship is a 10-week, paid training program designed to accelerate your career in user experience, visual design, engineering, or project management.
- 8th Light | London, UK | 8th Light is a software consultancy that is passionate about crafting beautiful and durable software products.
- Accenture | London, UK; Newcastle, UK; Warwick, UK | Accenture is a global professional services company providing a range of strategy, consulting, digital, technology & operations services and solutions.
- NeoMam Studios | Manchester, UK | NeoMam Studios is a content marketing agency that creates stunning visual content for its clients.
- Sainsbury's | London, UK | Sainsbury's offers a two-year structured apprenticeship programme for individuals who love the idea of working in the fast-paced retail world.
- Thoughtbot | London, UK | Thoughtbot offers a 3-12 month apprenticeship for product designers or software engineers to be trained by mentors in order to become permanent employees at the organization by the end of the apprenticeship.
- Subvisual | Braga, PT | Subvisual is a web design and development firm that offers a ten-week program with design or development tracks.
- HolidayCheck | Bottighofe, CH | HolidayCheck's apprenticeship targets people with little professional experience and teams them up with an experienced Software Crafter for a period of six months.
- A directory of apprenticeships
- Largest community of U.S. based software engineering apprenticeships
- Community resources for software apprenticeships
- Chicago Apprenticeships
- A list of apprentice software developer jobs in Chicago.
- TalentPath by Treehouse
- TalentPath by Treehouse aims to help companies scale their engineering teams, find new talent, and achieve their business goals by training apprentices with their online courses.
- TechHire Oakland Apprenticeships
- A list of emerging tech apprenticeships in the Bay Area.
To get started...
🍴Fork this repo 🔨View the contributing guidelines at CONTRIBUTING.md 👥Add yourself as a contributor in the credits section 🔧Open a new pull request 🎉Get your pull request approved - success!
Or just create an issue - any little bit of help counts!
Code of Conduct
In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as contributors and maintainers pledge to making participation in our project and our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, level of experience, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
More details can be found at this project's code of conduct.