A Simplified 2-D Cloud Resolving Model (CRM)
The name of the system I want to develope eventually is Super-Parametertization System (SPS). It is quite big. And by now, this package is actually a simplified 2-D cloud resolving model (CRM), which is part of my Master of Science (M.S.) work in Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences (CAMS) under the guidance of Dr. Guoqiang Xu.
This simplified 2-D CRM consists of a fully compressible dynamic core and mainly a WSM6 microphysics package transplanted from WRF. The dynamic core is designed on a horizontally stagged Arakawa-C grid with Charney-Phillips vertical variable configuration. The time integration scheme is Runge-Kutta 3-order, and the spacial discretization scheme is 5-order. Physical packages are WSM6 microphysics with a simple K-theory subgrid mixing scheme and a simple binary (0-1) cloud fraction scheme.
Some 2-D ideal experiments are conducted in this version, such as density current, convective thermal bubble, internal gravity wave, and an ideal thunderstorm experiment.
The model is written in
Fortran 90/95, and it is capable of parallel running with the support of
If you are interested in developing this model with me, just send me an email.
And suggestions are much appreciated.
Let's hack nature~
Below are some results of ideal experiments conducted by this model (click to see the gifs):
- sp_dynamic.f90 : the main program
- sp_module_model.f90 : settings for the running
- sp_module_gridvar.f90 : variables to calculate
- sp_module_constant.f90 : some physical constants
- sp_module_boundary.f90 : boundary conditions
- sp_module_initiate.f90 : initial conditions
- sp_module_interpolate.f90 : interpolation schemes
- sp_module_timeschemes.f90 : time integration schemes
- sp_module_integrate.f90 : time integration
- sp_module_advection.f90 : advection schemes
- sp_module_tendency.f90 : tendency calculation
- sp_module_wsm6.f90 : WSM6 microphysics scheme
- sp_module_subgrid.f90 : subgrid mixing scheme
- sp_module_cldfra.f90 : cloud fraction scheme
- sp_module_output.f90 : output the results
- sp_module_debug.f90 : some debugging tools
How to use
The basic settings of the model is in
You can make the whole program by
Note that the default compiler is
And run it with
After the running is done, you can plot the theta' field with the NCL scripts in the directory of
Author: Feng Zhu